64 bit roadmap
I am reading conflicting information about Windows Server 200x and end-of-life (EOL) for 32-bit support. Isthe upcoming release of 2008 Serverthe LAST 32-bit server OS Microsoft is planning on releasing, with R2 for Server 2008 (release date 2009 I presume) being ONLY 64-bit? If so, will the original general public release (GPR) of 2008 Server be completely supported through a standard Microsoft EOL roadmap as is with both 64 & 32 bit support, including service packs & regular patches?
January 18th, 2008 10:38pm

HoldMeBack wrote: I am reading conflicting information about Windows Server 200x and end-of-life (EOL) for 32-bit support. Isthe upcoming release of 2008 Serverthe LAST 32-bit server OS Microsoft is planning on releasing, with R2 for Server 2008 (release date 2009 I presume) being ONLY 64-bit? If so, will the original general public release (GPR) of 2008 Server be completely supported through a standard Microsoft EOL roadmap as is with both 64 & 32 bit support, including service packs & regular patches? Microsoft Windows Server 2008 will be the last 32bit Windows Server Operating System. Next versions of Windows Server will be available only in 64bit versions. This was announced at WinHEC 2007. Note: Some rolesfor Windows Server 2008 (like Hyper-V, which will be GA around 180 days after the GA of Windows Server 2008) will only be availablefor the 64bit editions. It's very unlikely Microsoft will not follow it's own product lifecyclepolicy regarding Windows Server. This means you will benefit from 5 years of Mainstream support and 5 years of Extended support, requiring you keep up with ServicePacks. Perhaps you could shed some light on the conflicting information you're reading?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 19th, 2008 11:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics