5 minute boot up time windows 2008r server
I have a system I use as a home server running windows 2008 R2 standard. It runs a I5-2400 CPU with 8GB CL9D RAM. The motherboard is a P67A-UD3R-B3, with virtualization turned off. The system has 7 internal drives and one external USB drives. There are 4 SATA III drives, and 3 SATA II drives. One of the SATA III drives is on a SATA II port as there were not enough SATA III ports. Two of the drives are on the Gigabyte GSATA ports, and are seen as IDE drives at boot. All ports are set to AHCI. The USB drive is a 1TB WD. The problem is that the PC stops at the Motherboard ID for 15 seconds, then takes another 20 seconds to progress through the POST tests to the AHCI scan, which then takes 12 seconds (Total so far 47 seconds). The screen then goes black and stays that way for 3 minutes before the Windows startup up logo shows. Then that is displayed for 30 seconds, the screen the goes black for another 30 seconds, then the mouse appears, and finally the familiar grey Win 2008 background will appear another 20 seconds later. After another 30 seconds I will get the logon prompt. I have my HDD delay set to 0 in the BIOS. All SATA III drives are < 12 months old. The SATA II drives vary from 18 months to 3 years old. I have run scans on the drives, none of them have any problems. Windows is installed on drive 0, port 0, partition 0. Why is it taking so long to boot up?
May 19th, 2012 7:02pm

Doesn't look to be a windows issue. I'd get in touch with the hardware manufacturer. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 19th, 2012 7:22pm

Doesn't look to be a windows issue. I'd get in touch with the hardware manufacturer. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
May 19th, 2012 7:30pm

I would also recommend you to see if your hardware is certified to run Windows 2008. for more information please see the windows server catalog for hardware support. http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/ http://www.arabitpro.com
May 20th, 2012 2:33am

I would also recommend you to see if your hardware is certified to run Windows 2008. for more information please see the windows server catalog for hardware support. http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/ http://www.arabitpro.com
May 20th, 2012 2:41am

As per the Gigabyte MB P67A-UD3R-B3 document, it shows 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3_0, SATA3_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices. 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices. How come you are connecting 7 SATA drives. Note: When a RAID set is built across the SATA 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s channels, the system performance of the RAID set may vary depending on the devices being connected. Thanks
May 20th, 2012 5:24am

As per the Gigabyte MB P67A-UD3R-B3 document, it shows 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3_0, SATA3_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices. 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices. How come you are connecting 7 SATA drives. Note: When a RAID set is built across the SATA 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s channels, the system performance of the RAID set may vary depending on the devices being connected. Thanks
May 20th, 2012 5:33am

Hi, Please try to unplug other drivers except the system drive to see whether you get the same issue.
May 20th, 2012 9:41am

Hi, Please try to unplug other drivers except the system drive to see whether you get the same issue.
May 20th, 2012 9:42am

Eek... <blush> The P67A is my test server. This is the production server I'm having problems with. Umm, it actually has a Z68X-UD3R-B3 motherboard in it. Everything else I quoted was right. There are no RAID sets, the drives are all simple volumes. Important stuff is backed up to the external USB drive. --- With only the boot drive connected there is no boot up delay. So is that suggesting that the problem is one of the drives might be failing? tanya
May 22nd, 2012 4:58am

Eek... <blush> The P67A is my test server. This is the production server I'm having problems with. Umm, it actually has a Z68X-UD3R-B3 motherboard in it. Everything else I quoted was right. There are no RAID sets, the drives are all simple volumes. Important stuff is backed up to the external USB drive. --- With only the boot drive connected there is no boot up delay. So is that suggesting that the problem is one of the drives might be failing? tanya
May 22nd, 2012 4:59am

Hi, Its hard to say, you may tried to add the hard disk one by one to see whether you can isolate the issue.
May 23rd, 2012 11:28am

Hi, Its hard to say, you may tried to add the hard disk one by one to see whether you can isolate the issue.
May 23rd, 2012 11:29am

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977419 pls check the link Darshana Jayathilake
May 23rd, 2012 12:56pm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977419 pls check the link Darshana Jayathilake
May 23rd, 2012 12:57pm

Hi, Its hard to say, you may tried to add the hard disk one by one to see whether you can isolate the issue. There is actually nothing wrong with any drive; It's just that when all 7 of them are plugged in they take ages to cycle up and get to a ready state. I tried many combinations. I'm just going to have to live with it.
July 31st, 2012 7:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics