500 k transfer speed on a 100 megabit network
Hello, I am running Server 2008 R2 SP1. The best speed I can get when transferring files to or from this machine on my internal network is ~500K. I plugged in a USB NIC to this same machine and the transfer speed is 20 to 30 times the built in NIC. I restored the machine to factory defaults and the builtin in NIC functions properly at speeds expected on a 100 megabit network. This all points me to that fact that there is not necessarily a hardware issue. All the latest Windows updates have beein installed and the NIC has the latest drivers. The machine did function correctly in the beginning but started to show this degredation in speed recently. I run Hyper-V on this machine and have several Internal Virtual networks created (all of the virtual nics have been disabled and still the issue persists). The machine also has a Wireless adapter which has been disabled. The USB NIC is used for an External Virtual Network. I tried creating a static route in the machines routing table with no change in the transfer speed. Any suggestions? Thanks.
April 25th, 2011 3:53pm

So are you still having this issue? you indicated that you restored the machine to factory defaults... Something you can check on that causes this type of issue...port mismatch. For instance, if you have the server's NIC set to default "auto"settings and the switch port to say half or full duplex, this can cause issues as you described.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 25th, 2011 6:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics