500GB database limit

Hi, 

I'm new to Azure so please bear with me. 

The maximum size of an Azure database when exposed as a direct service is 500GB.  What is the limit if I create a new Windows server then create a new SQL instance and database(s) inside that?  I understand there are drawbacks with this approach, licensing for one, however does this allow the database size to be greater? 

We are looking at moving all our 1500 SQL databases into a cloud solution and some of them are much bigger than 500GB. 

Thanks 

August 27th, 2015 10:39am

Hi ,

You  can look at the pricing details where premium tier can support to 1 TB

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/pricing/details/sql-database/.

Hope this information is helpful while migrating your DB on Azure.

Thanks

Abhishek

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2015 10:52am

You  can look at the pricing details where premium tier can support to 1 TB

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/pricing/details/sql-database/.

Thanks for the response.  Do you think that also means databases created inside a VM, seems to be the same cost to me but I'm not sure. 

We have a number of databases (mostly SharePoint) that are over 1TB in size, might have to do some re-engineering.

August 27th, 2015 11:00am

As you mention already there are several different things to consider when choosing a SQL Server hosting option on Azure. You can find a good article here https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/data-management-azure-sql-database-and-sql-server-iaas/ that helps you in making a choice.

As far as your question on the 500 GB size limit you can consider splitting your database to scale out using the SQL Database Elastic Database features, but this will involve changes in applications data-layer. When hosting a SQL Server on Azure Virtual Machine your database can be much bigger, you can attach several data disks (currently  up to 64 on a G-series VM)

August 27th, 2015 11:09am

Yes ,

There is some work which need to be done from your infra structure side . I hope it will go fine while you move your DB'S to azure .

August 27th, 2015 11:11am

SQL Database supports data sets up to terabytes in size. Individual SQL Database databases can be up to 500GB in size. Data sets larger than 500GB can be partitioned across multiple Azure databases using SQL Database Federations and other industry standard approaches. Federations will be retired with Web and Business service tiers in September 2015, you can consider using the Elastic Database tools for Azure SQL Database to build a sharded, scale-out solution for your data tier. To try it, see Get Started with Azure SQL Database Elastic Database tools.

It is also important to note that the 500GB limit per database does not include additional copies of data that are automatically maintained for higher availability, the transaction log or system level tables.

August 27th, 2015 11:17am

In addition to the suggestions above, I also want to point you to today's announcement of Premium tier P11 that can support databases upto 1 TB in size.

However, as you have databases exceeding 1 TB in size, you may need to shard those databases and use Elastic database tools as suggested in the post above.

-- Srini

August 27th, 2015 1:38pm

In addition to the suggestions above, I also want to point you to today's announcement of Premium tier P11 that can support databases upto 1 TB in size.

However, as you have databases exceeding 1 TB in size, you may need to shard those databases and use Elastic database tools as suggested in the post above.

-- Srini

August 27th, 2015 1:41pm

Just adding to what other experts have just mentioned - If your databases are bigger than 500 GB then you can go for Sharding ( SQL Azure DB (PaaS). Otherwise , you can create SQL on Azure VM (IaaS) and host your databases.

There are pros and cons for both the scenario ->

For PaaS -> you can get auto scale up/down scenario along with Scale out through Sharding. Microsoft will manage lots of your operations e.g. backups / SQL health / SQL Availability etc. as mentioned under the posts under http://dbcouncil.net/sql-azure-db-paas-for-a-dba/

But here , you may need to invest little bit on application code change/development as well.

For IaaS  -> You will get the same environment as you get in on-premise SQL server. You will need to manage SQL end to end e.g. Backups/HA/upgrades etc. The database which can create can far bigger because you can also use storage spaces to make bigger LUNS and create your DB there.

For information on SQL PaaS , you can visit this series  - http://dbcouncil.net/sql-azure-db-paas-for-a-dba/

August 27th, 2015 2:01pm

-- Srini

August 27th, 2015 5:37pm

-- Srini

-- Srini

Got a good news for you - Now MAX DB limit is 1 TB - check this out http://blogs.technet.com/b/dataplatforminsider/archive/2015/08/27/new-azure-sql-database-offerings-add-capabilities-to-scale-data-up-and-out.aspx?wt.mc_id=WW_ABG_MAPPS_OO_SCL_TW

August 28th, 2015 10:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics