440 Login timeout error when trying to connect to OWA, possibly after installing Windows updates?
Hi, few of our employees reported that they started experiencing problems connecting to webmail last Sunday, and after checking the problem still persists. Chrome gives SSL connection error 107 (net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR), IE only tells that it cannot display the web page and Firefox says that the connection was interrupted. Now, this is timed suspiciously right after the installation of security updates KB2653956 and KB2656376. I cheked the Default web site settings from IIS and the server certificate was gone! I reinstalled the cert and did iisreset but this didn't help. I've tried from both internal and external network. Accessing the mail works if I use mobile Activesync without SSL. Could corrupted IUSR/IWAM passwords cause this? I've had to reset them previously (not recently, though) but then the symptoms were different. Our configuration is as follows: Server 2003, IIS 6, Exchange 2003. Certificate is issued by a trusted CA Any ideas are greatly appreciated. -Mikko ***EDIT: Topic updated to match the problem, old topic was: SSL connection error when trying to connect to OWA, possibly after installing Windows updates? Mikko Koskenkorva
April 16th, 2012 6:28am

so what do you say exactly? You go and bind the certificate in the IIS properties. You click OK and open the properties again (without restart yet) and see the certificate bound, ok? Then you go and IISRESET the web server. When you go into the properties after the reset, you do not see the certificate binding anymore? what does the HTTPCFG tool say about the bindings? and any Event Log messages during the changes to the bindings? o.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 16th, 2012 7:03am

Hi Ondrej, I noticed that the certificate had gone missing during the weekend. I reinstalled the certificate and after iisreset the certificate was there but the OWA is still unaccessible. Sorry for unclear initial post. Eventlog doesn't show any messages related to this as far as I can tell. Running httpcfg query ssl shows that the certificate is bound to correct IP. -MikkoMikko Koskenkorva
April 16th, 2012 7:48am

then it seems more like Exchange/OWA problem. look at the AppPools whether any of them is disabled for some reason. You may also enable IIS logging and look into the logs if the user attempts really reach the IIS user mode worker process, whether the attempt is authenticated etc. You can also disable SSL on the OWA directory and try the access over clear HTTP to see whether it may be problem of SSL. then, probably only Network Monitor would help you, or in IE9, you have the F12 Developer Toolbar, which can also show you request/response packets so that you can troubleshoot the SSL traffic as well. o.
April 16th, 2012 8:01am

Okay, I had enabled the SSL by mistake on wrong website. I now enabled the SSL on port 443 on the OWA Virtual Server website on IIS and did IWAM & ISUR password reset & sync. Now the webmail page gives 440 - Login timeout error. I've edited the topic of this thread to match the problem. I still suspect that one of the updates had whacked the SSL configuration from the IIS....Mikko Koskenkorva
April 17th, 2012 2:59am

Problem solved. The anonymous access had been disabled on the OWA Virtual Server in IIS. I enabled the anonymous access and for just in case did another round of IWAM/IUSR password reset & sync. Anyway, thanks for the help, Ondrej! -MikkoMikko Koskenkorva
April 17th, 2012 3:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics