401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials
After installing MSCEP, enter http://Server2008/certsrv/mscep_admin in the browser.Enter correct user name and password in pop-up box. Windows 2008 keeps rejecting the correct user name and password. Browser displays error when clicked on cancel.
July 13th, 2007 3:44am

Have you checked under authentication in IIS?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 13th, 2007 9:55am

Didn't worked either.
July 13th, 2007 6:42pm

Hello, Try to check the auth providers with this script in command prompt: cscript adsutil.vbs get w3svc/WebSite/root/NTAuthenticationProviders if you do not have NTLM, the add it with this script: cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/WebSite/root/NTAuthenticationProviders "NTLM" Of course, you should change the website element to your custom one. Maybe it solves your issue. Regards, Janos
July 16th, 2007 9:48am

To whoever this may help, this saved my life... IIS 7 was difficult for figuring out why i was getting the 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials... until i did this... 1.) Open iis and select the website that is causing the 401 2.) Open the "Authentication" property under the "IIS" header 3.) Click the "Windows Authentication" item and click "Providers" 4.) For me the issue was that Negotiate was above NTLM. I assume that there was some kind of handshake going on behind the scenes, but i was never really authenticated. I moved the NTLM to the top most spot, and BAM that fixed it.
March 30th, 2010 6:20pm

Hi jay-dubb, can't find that "Providers in "Windows Authentication" in IIS 7? I am using Windows 2008 Server.
May 9th, 2010 8:34am

To whoever this may help, this saved my life... IIS 7 was difficult for figuring out why i was getting the 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials... until i did this... 1.) Open iis and select the website that is causing the 401 2.) Open the "Authentication" property under the "IIS" header 3.) Click the "Windows Authentication" item and click "Providers" 4.) For me the issue was that Negotiate was above NTLM. I assume that there was some kind of handshake going on behind the scenes, but i was never really authenticated. I moved the NTLM to the top most spot, and BAM that fixed it. You rock! This totally fixed me! Thank you for taking the time to post!
May 27th, 2010 9:43pm

Hi jay-dubb, can't find that "Providers in "Windows Authentication" in IIS 7? I am using Windows 2008 Server. Go to the site, click Authentication in the middle and then the middle frame has the authentication types. Click on Windows Authentication and then Providers appears under actions in the right frame.
May 27th, 2010 9:45pm

This must not apply to IIS 7.5 - there is no "Windows Authentication" item under "Authentication". There is a Providers icon under ASP.net. Is this what you mean?
July 9th, 2010 9:58pm

To whoever this may help, this saved my life... IIS 7 was difficult for figuring out why i was getting the 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials... until i did this... 1.) Open iis and select the website that is causing the 401 2.) Open the "Authentication" property under the "IIS" header 3.) Click the "Windows Authentication" item and click "Providers" 4.) For me the issue was that Negotiate was above NTLM. I assume that there was some kind of handshake going on behind the scenes, but i was never really authenticated. I moved the NTLM to the top most spot, and BAM that fixed it. That fixed me as well. Thank you very much for posting this.
August 13th, 2010 5:50pm

I'm running the Server 2008 IIS7 and can't find the Providers you talk about under the IIS Header. I do have a Providers in the ASP.NET. The main problem is that I'm having a issue that the IP Address works with no problem, but the DNS name does not want to pass the credential through to the server. I'm totally stuck on this problem. Sniffles
August 19th, 2010 8:14pm

Thanks for the suggestion about moving NTLM above Negotiate, jay-dubb - it was the cause of my problems, too, and so much time was wasted before I found the one page out of the first 40 Google results (this page) that identified it.
November 24th, 2010 4:59am

jdigap - I don't know if you found the answer to your problem (obviously it's some time ago now, but this being a public record of answers and all I figured I'd post suggestions for anyone else, too) - first you need to open the Authentication section. If you don't have a Windows Authentication entry under there you need to go into the Server Manager Roles and use Add Role Service on the IIS entry to add the Windows Authentication service. If Windows Authentication is listed, then you select the Windows Authentication option and over at the right hand side in IIS 7 there should be a Providers... link which you click to list the providers, and can change the order in there.
November 24th, 2010 5:06am

Thaks for the tip. This worked for me.
December 11th, 2010 6:59pm

Worked like charm..
December 13th, 2010 5:52am

Amazing!! This worked a treat for me too.
January 4th, 2011 10:16am

Unbelievable. I would have never found this if it weren't for you. Thanks!
January 11th, 2011 6:33pm

Jay-dubb, THANKYOU! If I could send you a virtual beer I would... I've lost so much time over that :(
February 5th, 2011 6:09am

I shared my wwwroot folder and I got this error message. The only reason why I would do a share folder is so that I was able to update the sit via network. Anyways been working on this issue for about 2 days. Then I came across this form and it fixed my problem. Thank you so much. :)
February 20th, 2011 11:01am

Excellent! I wish it was always this simple instead of trolling through hundreds of meaningless posts by people second guessing. Thanks a lot!Freelance IT consultant/developer
March 7th, 2011 3:57pm

None of the responses help me to solve the problem; here is how I solved it. My Problem started when I shared the folder. When I Enabled Windows Authentication It started giving me a Login Windows for User Name & Password, That was not desired by me so I disabled the Windows Authentication, in fact all of them expect the Anonymous Authentication, When Clicked “Edit“Anonymous Authentication it showed a user it was IUSR I gave full rights to IUSR for the subject folder and my website started working
March 22nd, 2011 3:25am

I'm running the Server 2008 IIS7 and can't find the Providers you talk about under the IIS Header. I do have a Providers in the ASP.NET. I am having the exact same issue. For the Action pane elements I only have advanced settings, no providers. I do also have a providers under asp.net that doesn't appear to be the same as the one for Windows Authentication. Did anyone ever figure out how to edit the providers in Windows Authentication?
March 23rd, 2011 4:35pm

try this.. it worked for me in IIS7. KB Article Link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/215383 Check the NTAuthenticationProviders IIS metabase property, if it is set to default “Negotiate,NTLM” . C:\inetpub\AdminScripts>cscript adsutil.vbs get w3svc/NTAuthenticationProviders Set NTAuthenticationProviders IIS metabase property to “NTLM”. C:\inetpub\AdminScripts>cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/NTAuthenticationProviders "NTLM"
March 25th, 2011 12:21am

Great!!! That worked for me too.
March 25th, 2011 6:48pm

I'm running Windows Server 2008 R2 and IIS 7.5. I was receiving the same error and after messing around with it, this is what fixed it. In IIS, select the website you're having the issue with. In the IIS section, select 'Authentication'. Right click on Anonymous Authentication and select 'Edit' Check the 'Specified User' radio button and click on 'Set' I entered my username, password and password confirmation and click ok. This solved my problem and I hope it can help someone else. Cheers!
March 26th, 2011 5:47am

For IIS 7.5, check out this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950100 Issue 3: Error message when you try to open the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Web application: "HTTP Error 401.2 – Unauthorized" To work around this problem, enable the Windows Authentication role service in the Web Server (IIS) role.
April 27th, 2011 7:28am

I was not able to find providers in IIS 7, but the command line utility worked like a charm!!! Thank you!!!
May 4th, 2011 3:42pm

To whoever this may help, this saved my life... IIS 7 was difficult for figuring out why i was getting the 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials... until i did this... 1.) Open iis and select the website that is causing the 401 2.) Open the "Authentication" property under the "IIS" header 3.) Click the "Windows Authentication" item and click "Providers" 4.) For me the issue was that Negotiate was above NTLM. I assume that there was some kind of handshake going on behind the scenes, but i was never really authenticated. I moved the NTLM to the top most spot, and BAM that fixed it. You are a legend mate. Saved me heaps of headaches.
May 17th, 2011 9:49pm

To whoever this may help, this saved my life... IIS 7 was difficult for figuring out why i was getting the 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials... until i did this... 1.) Open iis and select the website that is causing the 401 2.) Open the "Authentication" property under the "IIS" header 3.) Click the "Windows Authentication" item and click "Providers" 4.) For me the issue was that Negotiate was above NTLM. I assume that there was some kind of handshake going on behind the scenes, but i was never really authenticated. I moved the NTLM to the top most spot, and BAM that fixed it. You rocked!!!! It really fixed the issue.
June 1st, 2011 5:22am

To whoever this may help, this saved my life... IIS 7 was difficult for figuring out why i was getting the 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials... until i did this... 1.) Open iis and select the website that is causing the 401 2.) Open the "Authentication" property under the "IIS" header 3.) Click the "Windows Authentication" item and click "Providers" 4.) For me the issue was that Negotiate was above NTLM. I assume that there was some kind of handshake going on behind the scenes, but i was never really authenticated. I moved the NTLM to the top most spot, and BAM that fixed it. Thank you so much! I faffed about for hours over this issue - I even thought about switching the providers out of desperation, but dismissed the idea for being too stupid!!!
June 3rd, 2011 5:52pm

This did it for me! Good job with your post.
June 3rd, 2011 6:41pm

Thanks a million.. this works for me!
July 13th, 2011 5:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics