32 bit version on a 64 bit OS

Hi,

I have been using SQL server now for a year (self taught). I have recently been given a new laptop by work and advised to install my own SQL Server from my MSDN subscription.

I have however unwittingly installed a 32 bit version of SQL Server 2014 on my 64 bit machine. After noticing, I have tried to uninstall it but I get the message "the operating system on this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for sql server 2014".

I have been advised that the only way now to remove it from my laptop is to get it completely re-built again.

Can anyone suggest an answer that could avoid me having to re-build my laptop and allow me to simply uninstall? It baffles me that it would allow me to install an incorrect version yet won't allow an uninstall.

I have tried changing the compatibility settings of the setup.exe in the bootstrap file and had no luck.

Thanks

March 30th, 2015 7:51am

Try this https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/c2bb8040-02f3-4fc7-ad3e-77241e65fe0b/uninstall-sql-express-2014-error?forum=sqlsetupandupgrade

Probably changing the compatibility level of setup.exe might help.

However you dont really have to uninstall 32 bit SQL to install 64 bit. Both can go side by side.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2015 8:30am

Thanks for the suggestion Ashwin but I have already tried both of these and still get exactly the same error message.

I have a 64-bit version running correctly side-by-side, but I am loathed to have redundant files/programs on a brand new machine. A lot of research on the topic leads me to believe that (rather astonishingly) a complete re-build is the only way to remove this from my laptop.

• Edited by RMHamm Monday, April 13, 2015 12:05 PM
April 10th, 2015 2:09pm

Thanks for the suggestion Ashwin but I have already tried both of these and still get exactly the same error message.

I have a 64-bit version running correctly side-by-side, but I am loathed to have redundant files/programs on a brand new machine. A lot of research on the topic leads me to believe that (rather astonishingly) a complete re-build is the only way to remove this from my laptop.

• Edited by RMHamm Monday, April 13, 2015 12:05 PM
  • Marked as answer by pituachModerator 22 hours 40 minutes ago
April 10th, 2015 2:09pm

RMHamm, any progress with this?

Thanks!

May 1st, 2015 4:11pm

How much memory do you have on your laptop? The greatest benefit of 64-bit SQL Server is access to memory greater than 4GB.

This is a laptop, so I assume the purpose of this is learning and maybe testing some SQL scripts. The 64-bit version isn't going to make any difference. Even the databases will be compatible if you decide to move/restore them to a 64-bit SQL Server later.

Also, your machine might be 64-bit, but is your OS?

In short, keep what you have.

May 1st, 2015 4:40pm

>> A lot of research on the topic leads me to believe that (rather astonishingly) a complete re-build is the only way to remove this from my laptop.

I assuming from the OP response that this is the solution that he choose: a complete re-build so I will mark it as answer, but I want to say that the is probably not the best solution and in most cases there is an option to uninstall the instance.

* it is a known BUG that in some cases you succeed to install SQL Server with no error message but while trying to uninstall you get "the operating system on this computer does not meet the minimum requirements". This is very annoying since it should be consist! if you don't get it during installation then there should be simple uninstall option. in any case the link that Ashwin Menon posted include the workaround, so I will re-mark it as answer.

May 3rd, 2015 4:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics