2 questions about configuring domain name and DHCP in server2008r2
hello, 1-- I run DCPROMO to make MY SERVER 2008 R2 A DOMAIN CONTROLLER so in the dcpromo wizard he is asking to me to enter mydomain name, my domain name external is for example www.john.net . so do I have to enter in this wizard my external domain name or my local domain name, for example john.local? because I see in dns server role you can only configure local IP addresses and not external IP addresses. because I know from sbs server 2008 you configure first local domain name in installation proces (so then I have local domain name) and then after installation you run domain name configutation wizard to configure your external domain name . so with server 2008 r2 wat I have to enter in domain name window domain.local or domain.com. also in my computer name proprties in the section of domain name wich domain name must exist local or com. 2--- do I have also to enable DHCP role in server 2008r2 because I disabled DHCP in the router? very short answers wil be enough . thanks johanh.david
April 30th, 2012 2:17pm

Hello David, Very short answers... 1. john.local would suffice your requirement 2. Its not recommended to install/configure DHCP server role on DCs however, if you are short of resources then you can go ahead. A UNIVERSE without WINDOWS is CHAOS ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me !!!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2012 2:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics