2 os in one pc
Hello, I had installed Windows server 2008 standard edition, then I installed XP in the same pc, but now I can't see windows server in the boot, I can't choose which operating system I want to run. I hope you can understand my problem and can help me. Sorry for my poor English..
December 29th, 2010 3:47pm

I would recommend that you wipe out the drive and install Windows XP as the host system. You can then install Microsoft virtual PC 2007, which is a free download from Microsoft. Once you have virtual PC setup, you can create a guest system for Windows Server 2008. With this configuration, both systems can run at the same time and when you are done with testing on 2008, you can simply delete the 2008 guest without impacting the XP client. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 29th, 2010 6:38pm

You can follow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us
December 29th, 2010 7:08pm

As they are Windows XP and Windows 2003, you need to edit boot.ini file instead of the Bootrec.exe provided above. First please find boot.ini, open it to see if there are 2 entries. If not, you may need to manually add the Windows 2003 one to the file. Note: Read the article first before editing as a wrong editing will cause the system fail from boot. How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
December 30th, 2010 4:30am

Looks like author has Windows Server 2008, not 2003 version.
December 30th, 2010 4:35am

Hi there, You need to restore the 2008 Bootloader, and add XP to that, rather than adding 2008 to the XP boot.ini, the following kb article details how. 2008 Server is the same as Vista in the article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529 Hope this helps!
December 30th, 2010 4:51am

Hi, To Olexandr and OP, sorry for my mistake. This is a common issue as start from Windows Vista (Windows 2008), the boot structure is changed. After installing Windows XP, it will change back to using boot.ini to boot the system, as there is no boot information for Windows Vista/2008, it will missing from the list. Here are the steps you can do: 1. Please insert the Windows 2008 DVD and reboot the computer. 2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar to launch Windows Recovery Environment. 3. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer". 4. Highlight the item related to Windows 2008 and click "Next". Note: If the item related to Windows 2008 don't appear, please click “Next” directly. 5. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command. Bootrec.exe /REBUILDBCD If the command is successful, close the Command Prompt window. 6. Click “Startup Repair” to perform Windows Startup Repair. After doing these, computer will reboot automatically. After doing the above steps, computer will boot to Windows 2008. Windows XP will no longer starts. If the computer still boot to Windows XP, please perform the steps again. Then please do following steps to create a boot entry for Windows XP: 1. Click Start button, type cmd in the search box. 2. On the program results list, right click the cmd.exe and choose run as administrator. 3. In the command window, type the following command and press Enter, one by one. bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d “Windows XP Professional” bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=C: *C: is the previous operation system. If it is not on Drive C, please just modify the command. bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr Again sorry for causing any confusion. In addition, there are some third party tool can help do the thing easier such as EasyBCD.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
December 31st, 2010 2:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics