2 lan cards to open same share folder
hi.... I have share server with windows server 2003 with 2 lan cards (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2) I wonder if I can access this server throw the 2 lan cards from 2 diffident PCs one from 192.168.1.1 and the other from 192.168.1.2 thanks in advance
September 22nd, 2010 8:37am

if the different pcs access it through the ip, like pc a using \\192.168.1.1\myshare und pc b using \\192.168.1.2\myshare then its using both nics (assuming each ip is assigned one nic). depending on what you try to archive (more bandwith) consider configuring teaming for your nic ports (depends on vendor, intel and eg broadcom offer this in their drivers)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 22nd, 2010 8:49am

From experience, I will say that just simply having two NICs on the system, really doesn't provide the additional bandwidth that you are probably looking for. It really doesn't even provide a good solution for fail-over or fault-tolerance. As FZB indicated, if that is your goal, you would have to consider a "Teaming" approach which would require the appropriate adapter cards, drivers, and software. In addition, I would recommend that you take a step back and figure out what the requirements are and consider the costs and risks. Many times, we "over" design solutions which end up introducing problems into the mix which would not occur in you stick with a simple approach. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 22nd, 2010 9:42am

another consideration is that if workstations connect to a share using the hostname instead if IP there is no gaurantee they will not always connect to the same NIC. if you suspect your single NIC is a bottleneck use Perfmon to find out if it is. Maybe something else is causing a slow down (hard disk for example).
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 22nd, 2010 9:48am

Hi, Thanks for posting here. No, this is not recommend . You might found the interpretation in the article below: Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175767/EN-US/ If you want to improve network performance for file service with multi NICs ,of course, teaming is the way you might consider to deploy. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 23rd, 2010 2:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics