2 NIC Network Problems
Ok i have windows server 2008 Enterprise setup with AD,DHCP,DNS Exchange & RRASIts a HP Proliant DL580G5 20GB Ram 1TB Storage 2 x Quad Xeon Processors 2X NICanyway the problem i am having is that i have everything working great except recieving mail i have setup all the rules and connectors etc etc and i think i know what my problem is i just cant figure out how to solve it.basically both NICs are sitting under and identified as mydomain.local please go to http://www.nizzy.co.uk/problem.jpg for screenshot.let me know if you think this is wrong as i do
March 26th, 2008 1:28am

Well that is not a recommended config. You should not use a DC as a router (except SBS server, which is designed to work like that). Multihomed DCs have been a problem since NT days and they still are. The basic problem is that, as you have discovered, you get two IP addresses associated with the server's name. My advice would be to use a separate device as the router and have your DC use only one interface.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 26th, 2008 9:24am

That would explain alot i have never done an enterprise server before it has always been SBS still time to learn alot lol . So just to be clear what you are reccomending is that I only use one network Adapter plugged straight into Netgear Router and a cable from the Netgear Router into a switch? that would give the clients direct access to the internet bi passing ISA would it not?
March 26th, 2008 11:11am

I am a little confused with what youve said.although i did have both nics associated with the server name The DC was authenticating all logons and routing perfectly i could remote desktop to it etc etc so to me everything was working fine the only problem i was having was getting the SMTP to work properly.I could send mail out but i couldnt get mail coming in.I Thought i was looking at network autodiscovery or topology and policy issues
March 26th, 2008 12:38pm

How did ISA get into the conversation? The original post says you are using RRAS. If you want to run RRAS or ISA server as a gateway router you don't need any other router. The private NIC connects to the private LAN and the other NIC connects directly to the Internet with a public IP. And you don't run it on a DC! If you want to run a domain behind an ADSL router, you use that router as the default gateway for your LAN. You do not use the other options available on the ADSL device. You run DHCP and DNS on the DC and you modify the local DNS to forward to a public DNS service. All LAN machines, including the DC itself, use only the DC for DNS.
March 26th, 2008 12:59pm

Ok basically i dont have ISA Yet as its not available for 64bit Windows Server 2008 yet but i will be getting it once its available.what i am looking to achieve is this http://www.nizzy.co.uk/Setup.jpg 2 Network Adapters One for Lan one for Wan DC (AD)DHCPDNSExchangeRRASISA Server (Eventually)File ServerSurely this should be possible ive had it setup like this with windows server 2003 and it worked great i also have a test box setup with windows server 2008 RC and it works just fine setup exactly as described above
March 26th, 2008 1:22pm

It may be possible, but it is a bad idea, and I would never even think of doing it. It was also a bad idea in Server 2003.
March 27th, 2008 3:55am

well i took your suggestions on board and gave it a go with one NIC and ive got the same problem as i had with the 2 NIC's everything works except SMTP so im thinking right about now i was wrong in what i thought was wrong with my setup.it seems that as soon as i configure RRAS SMTP (Telnet) stops workin and then as soon as i disable RRAS SMTP (Telnet) is working fine again.so it may seem due to your name you might have an idea as to why that is?you definetely gettin the points/answer for all your help anyway the only man to give me an answer
March 27th, 2008 1:45pm

If you only have one NIC enabled, why do you have RRAS running at all? What do you think it will do for you? To run RRAS or ISA server as a firewall, run it on a standalone server. Run you DC using one NIC on the private LAN.
March 28th, 2008 7:38am

Dear All,Server: 2 NIC'sOS : Windows server 20033D application license is configured to NIC 1 IPNIC 1 = 10.1.1.201NIC 2 = 192.168.128.111 connected to disk storage3D application launches when NIC 2 is disabled. When NIC 2 is enabled it says license error and aborts the application launch.Any Windows Admin enthusiasts here to help me out to solve this problem. I am new to Channel bonding and NIC teaming. Any help in this regard would e appreciated.Contact the support team to revoke NIC 1 (IP) license and issue for the IP on NIC 2. But this doesn't really give solution to the problem if there are 200 more machines are to be added.Cheers
May 29th, 2008 8:19am

Which version of Exchange are you using? I am guessing that you are using Exchange 2007 and have not configured a send connector, which explains why you can receive mail and not send mail.
June 1st, 2008 12:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics