2 Domains on the same LAN
Hi guys! I want to know if its possible to have an 2 distinct domains on the same network. I will bring to my office a Domain Controller and i want the users get authenticated to this Active Directory, but exists already a domain on the LAN. Its possible? If so, what are the configurations needed to implement this solution? Best Regards, Rui Figueiredo
July 2nd, 2009 12:09pm

Hello,you can run multiple domains in the same physical network. BUT you have to make sure that no conflicts occur for domain members with ip addressing for the DNS servers. So using DHCP for all will create problems, because maybe domain1 machines gets ip information belonging to domain2. So for one domain use only fixed ip addresses.Personal i would avoid this kind of configuration, if not done correct you create yourself lot more work. Also why do you need another domains DC in your network, please describe what you are trying to achive. Maybe we can find another solution.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2009 12:34pm

Yes You can havemultiple domains in the same physical network. As asked by meinolf "what the goal behind it, what do u want to acheive ?? Thankshttp://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
July 2nd, 2009 12:44pm

Hello, thanks for your answer.Weare consideringbring the domain controller (thats is located on a distant office), to our installations, but here exists a domain.How can i resolve this problem with the DNS and DHCP Server?Thanks for your reply.
July 2nd, 2009 2:46pm

I will bring also a SQL Server.Its possible in the futureto have more Servers and i want that the users log on locallyto shynchronize files and folders, toacess to databases and other services thatrequire authentication.
July 2nd, 2009 2:49pm

hi there, there should not be any problem with respect to adding more servers and files and folder synchronization. sainath !analyze
July 2nd, 2009 6:01pm

Hello,again what is the reason to have a different domain DC and SQL sevrer in your domain network? Did you relocate the complete domain to your office?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
July 3rd, 2009 12:27pm

we now share the office instalations with a partner company. Can you tell what are the configurations needed to configure the DHCP and DNS Servers ( from both domains)? Thanks in advance.
July 3rd, 2009 12:35pm

Hello,as said before you can not use DHCP that way. The workstations need a clear DNS server info about the correct domain. So one domain has to use complete fixed ip addresses when they are in one subnet. Of course the fixed ip addresses have to be excluded form the DHCP scope.So both companies are now in 2 locations? Then make it a proper configuration and use a differnet subnet for them. If you need access to the other companies domain, create a trust bewtween them, but still configure a differnet subnet. Prevent yourself for problems, do NOT share the same subnetBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
July 3rd, 2009 12:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics