2012r2 RDS Server: Disconnected users make the RDS Server slow

Hello Forum!!

I have an ESXi running on a DELL R720 with 2 6-core Prozessors an 96 GB RAM.

On this Server are 4 Windows 2012R2 Server. 2 Domain Controler, 1 Exchange 2013 and 1 RDS Server. All servers have the last updates.

The RDS Server has 8 cores an 40GB of RAM for about 55 Users running Office 2013 and Management Software based on SQL Server.

The clients are connected via LAN and WAN. The Clientdevices are Thinclients, WIN7 and WIN8 PCs.

The whole system is running performantly, the RDS Server is running at 50 - 70 Percent of Prozessorutilization and using about 20-25 GB Ram (as TASKMANAGER is displaying). Excel and Winword ie. are loading in about 3-5 seconds.

BUT: The RDS Server starts slowing down, when some users (no special users) disconnect their sessions. When about 8-10 sessions are disconnected, loading Excel or Word takes about 30sec. to 1 minute. Opening TASKManager takes about the same time.

When I am now logging off 4-6 disconnected users, no matter which users, the server is comming back to the normal performance. The same occours when some people are coming back from the break at about 10:00, the server also goes back to normal performance.

I dont see any changes in Prozessor-Utilization and only a small amount of memory is becoming free.

Today i.e: 55 Users connected, 7 disconnected, 65% Utilization, 26GB used ---> slow

loging off 5 Users: 62% Utilization, 24GB used ----> performing system

I found, when I was seaching the internet, that an "autologoff" of disconnected sessions should help, but there were no changes. I set to 6 hours.

I am manging 3 other RDS servers, same configuration,but running 2008r2 and had never these these trouble with performanceloss.

Thanks a lot for any ideas and help.

Regards from Austria

Reinhold

September 2nd, 2015 2:19pm

I would set a disconnection timeout value. thus any user disconnected would have is RDS session closed. (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754272.aspx)

On my server I usually set a 1 minute timeout.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 10:36pm

I changed the disconnection timeout from 6h to 3h and the problem disappeared.Dont know why, but its solved.

Reagards and thanks for helping

Reinhold

September 7th, 2015 12:27pm

Thanks for the feedback ! and I'am glad it now work good 
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2015 10:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics