2012 R2 no kb no mouse no ts are possible.

Greetings all,

i have an issue with a server 2012 r2 server.

when i try to rdp into it i cannot. it tries to connect and then rdp just closes.

when i try to login via the console it's just a black screen, i can't ctrl alt del to unlock the server the mouse doesn't work either.

when trying the ikvm of the server the same issues.

seems to be something funky in the registry?

i have remote access to the registry so i can take a look but does anyone have any recommendations?

the server is online, shares and storage continue to work just there isn't any access.
  • Edited by masterITSupp Friday, November 14, 2014 10:21 PM Addition
November 15th, 2014 1:18am

Sounds like it may have been installed core only mode?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831786.aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 15th, 2014 2:52am

i wish it were that easy.

this isn't something that occurred after a fresh install.

this happened after a windows update.

upon reboot nothing works.

when i press the power button for a second the lock screen shows up but no kb or mouse regardless.

i can get at the registry remotely, do you know what keys are related to this? i think it's also a service that's not started.

November 15th, 2014 8:34pm

the server boots into windows, the services we need are running. we are just not able to login. remote powershell and remote registry work.

November 15th, 2014 11:54pm

It could also be some sort of hardware failure. You might try contacting the hardware manufacturer.

November 16th, 2014 12:04am

not likely, as the server is accessible with mouse and kb up until windows finishes loading. of course that's the point at which both are really needed. but how would this be a hardware issue if remote desktop doesn't work?

network shares work and the server is pingable.

November 16th, 2014 12:10am

Might try a Safe Mode boot. If it still does not work I'd try the repair install.

November 16th, 2014 12:17am

how would i do a repair install if theres no kb or mouse to do it with.

safe mode has the same issues as a normal boot.

November 16th, 2014 12:46am

Might try booting the installation media.

November 16th, 2014 1:51am

Hi masterITSupp,

Does your server compatible with Server 2012R2? You can ask your hardware vendor for confirm or you can search in Window Server Catalog. Please try to update your server firmware and driver to latest then monitor this issue again.

Windows Serer Catalog

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

Im glad to be of help to you!

November 19th, 2014 5:09am

yes, it is. it's a supermicro with 2012 preinstalled with 32gb or ram.

this IS a REGISTRY ISSUE. i know for a fact. i have no idea which key needs to be recreated or deleted but i know that't the issue. this isn't my first time troubleshooting a server. firmware is up to date.

as for drivers they were up to date BEFORE this issue occurred. iv tried rebooting countless times no dice.

safe mode boots up the same as normal, with no keyboard or mouse. REMOTE DESKTOP does not work either. VNC does not work either. BOTH worked prior to this issue.

November 19th, 2014 5:17am

Hi masterITSupp,

Did this server have any external removable device? Could you try to unplug this external drive? I have experienced the backup USB disk effect the server logon.

Best Regards.

November 20th, 2014 4:58am

there are no usb drives or external devices. 

in the event log i have found that the winlogon process is terminating. i figure this could be related.

according to a few technet articles checking the registry for a gina entry in hklm/sw/microsoft/windows nt/winlogon this was set correctly.

November 24th, 2014 10:10pm

Hi, with remote eventlog, do you see any error ? I would try another mouse device to force your server to re-detect, but the fact that RDP does not work too, make me think something bad open when the user load the session.

Can you close any un-necessary third part service, and check what app open when you open a session ?

November 25th, 2014 5:12am

tried that. to make matters worse upon reinstall the exact same thing happened after windows updates.

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2897632 didn't fix the issue either.

January 25th, 2015 3:05pm

Downloaded a new iso from msdn. seems to be the build i had had some sort of issues with updates.

all is well now.

February 7th, 2015 6:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics