2012 R2 RDS Temporary Profile issue

I have set up a standard 3 node 2012 R2 RDS for testing. All virtualized on VMware ESXi 5.0. I have a connection Broker, session host, and web access server. I have published several applications and I can access them without a problem. Here is my issue:

When I try to log on to my session host server either locally or thru RDP, I am always logged in with a Temporary profile. It does not mater what user account I use. Even logging on locally as the administrator I get a temporary profile.

All windows updates are installed and current.

I have removed the server from the domain, deleted the account, and rejoined it to the domain.

I have deleted all .bak registry entries from here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

There is a hotfix here for a similar issue on 2012 but it does not apply to 2012 R2

The only event viewer errors are:

1515 (Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backup profile the next time this user logs on.)

1511 (Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.)

Any suggestions to resolve would be greatly apprec

December 30th, 2013 11:40pm

Hi Russ,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 2nd, 2014 6:16am

Hi Russ,

Did you configure ProfileDisks for the collection? If so, check access rights on the folder you defined for this.

I know for a fact that a RemoteApp session collection cannot share profiledisks with a Remote Desktop session collection, so maybe there's a conflict in this somewhere?

If you have not yet configured profile disks for the RemoteApp session collection, configure this. I think logging on locally or through RDP to the desktop will keep using local profiles, but not 100% sure.

Cheers

Arjan

January 2nd, 2014 12:37pm

User Profile disks are configured and working properly. We are just using RemoteApp and not Remote Desktop sessions so there is not conflict there. The issue happens when logging directly into the Session Host server.
January 2nd, 2014 5:48pm

the hotfix for windows server 2012 R2
January 3rd, 2014 11:30am

has not been published at the moment , you might be need wait for more while.
January 3rd, 2014 11:31am

We got the same issue over here. Is the hotfix already published?
January 14th, 2014 5:58am

hi,

i have same issue with RDS 2012 R2. Is there any hotfix published for temp profile?

January 14th, 2014 5:19pm

I discovered yesterday that if I add my Session Host server to the Windows Authorization Access Group in Active Directory and reboot it resolves the issue. Here is what I did. Keep in mind I have a Domain Admin account and also a regular user account.

1) Log on to the server as a Domain Admin

2) Add my regular user account to the local admin group

3) add the session host server to the Windows Authorization Access Group

4) Reboot

5) Log on to the session host server as my regular user account and delete my Domain Admin Profile

6) Log off my regular user account and log on as my Domain Admin account (No temporary profile now)

7) Delete the regular user account from the Local Administrator group.

Hope this works for you.

January 14th, 2014 9:36pm

I have the same problem with temp profiles, I have 5 servers setup right know, that will support 100 plus users.  The most Ive had access my term farm is about 40 users and this problem was not fun.

1st one is the termcontrol (was 2012 base, now 2012 r2) that i have setup for admin stuff.

3 2012 base terms that are setup for session base hosting and web access.

1 2012 R2 term I set this one up just to test to see if MS fixed the problem in R2.

i have done this fix with windows Authorization access group, Ill go 2 to 3 days without a .BAK in the registry.

I tried the KB fix that started this thread, and I get the error the update us not applicable to your computer.

January 14th, 2014 11:35pm

Hi!

I do have the same problem on a single server setup. Profilediscs can work for several days and then sudenly some users are logged on with a temporary profile.

Someone mentioned a hotfix for windows 2012 R2 where can I find that?

//Hkan

February 4th, 2014 11:18pm

hello,

we have the same problem on a single server. any solution ready?

this problem is really annoying us.

thx

February 19th, 2014 3:45am

hello,

we have the same problem on a single server. any solution ready?

this problem is really annoying us.

thx

• Edited by florian-st Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:41 AM
February 19th, 2014 8:41am

I have same problem as thread-starter on a small TS farm with 2 RD hosts.

No hotfix for 2012 R2 available yet. Microsoft come on, please fix this now.....

/Ulrik

February 20th, 2014 8:41pm

Exact same issue here on 2012 R1. Also small farm with two host servers, using UPD. Started after power failure that caused the server to reboot. Created the second (virtual) host server after the problems started on the first but the problems continued on the new server immediately. 

Where can I get the hotfix for R1? Is there any Technet documentation available on this?

April 24th, 2014 7:37pm

We've been having issues with temp profiles too, in our environment, users who are getting a temp profile always seem to be ending up on the same RDS Session host server. Different users who get a temp profile will end up on different RDS servers - but the same user always ends up on the same RDS server. A work around for us is to disable logins on a particular RDS server to force a user onto a different server - when we do this the user does NOT get a temp profile. If I re-enable logins back on the original RDS server - the user can log into that server and does not get a temp profile again.

June 2nd, 2014 10:13pm

+1... same problem here. 

Session host server getting a temporary profile.  Other servers are working fine.  Getting same event ID 15 with similar messages.

We could really use that hotfix about now...

June 4th, 2014 7:59pm

+1 ... where the **** is the fix??
June 15th, 2014 7:39pm

+1... waiting for a hotfix.
June 16th, 2014 4:30pm

Thank you!, suffering from almost the same issue (using standard profiles though not ProfileDisks, Server 2012 std Not R2) 

I went through your fixes (out of desperation at this point, and yes i tried all the useless hotfixes),  and it is now working correctly and pulling down profiles, might be worth mentioned that it only worked after completing steps 4 - 7 though previously the host server was not a member of the Windows Authorization Access Group.

June 25th, 2014 2:59pm

The same problem here - weeks of trying to solve the temporary profile issue.  Ours actually goes out and touches the remote profiles share, creates the appropriate folder, updates the timestamp, but we only get a temporary profile!  The directories on the shares are empty.  I've triple-checked the permissions.

This thread at least tells me that there are a LOT of folks having this issue.

I added my two RDS servers to the Windows Authorization group, deleted all old profiles, and....  TEMPORARY PROFILE.  I'm working my tail off to get away from Citrix and go with just MS RDS, but this is just frustrating the heck out of us here.

20122 R2, all updates, tried re-installing KBKB2887595, just to make certain everything was there, but it is definitely installed already.  Added the key from same KB. 

Any other ideas?  sheesh

June 25th, 2014 9:48pm

Actually, found this tidbit, which SEEMS to have solved it.  We had originally created the collection with UDP, then apparently broke it and re-created WITHOUT UDP.  I broke it and recreated with UDP, and the proper things appear to be happening now.

If this changes, I'll keep this updated.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15304.installing-and-configuring-user-profile-disks-upd-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

June 26th, 2014 1:55pm

Bad news again, it works once and only once.  It actually creates the proper profile on the UDP share, but the next time we log in, it creates a TEMP profile and that's that.  Nothing seems to fix it.

I'm going to gen up two brand new servers and see what happens.  This is SOOOOOOOOOOO frustrating and expensive.

June 26th, 2014 4:26pm

We had the same issue,

noticed that the mounted profile vhdx was still in use, while user was not logged on at all.

detached the profile vhdx.. Tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. logging in and the normal profile was available again ..

July 17th, 2014 10:55am

Can you provide steps on how to do this?  I believe I have the same problem.
July 21st, 2014 4:11pm

I experienced this issue when keeping UPD share on NAS storage.  The NAS would compress the files if they were not accessed regularly.  Uncompressing the VHDX allowed the profile disk to be mounted, and shutting off compression on the volume prevented the issue from recurring. 
August 21st, 2014 8:15pm

We are also having this issue. We are running UPD with Store All Settings and Data on profile disk checked. Has anyone experimented with only storing items more selectively to see if it makes a positive difference in regards to not loading temp profiles?

September 19th, 2014 6:39pm

Having the same problem now as well :( This makes me sad! User Profile Disks seemed like such a good idea, but just seems so unreliable... Could be my set up, but surely it should recover after having a problem!!
November 12th, 2014 10:09am

You are using VMware?
November 16th, 2014 11:07pm

You are using VMware?

I'm having exact same problem and is runing the 2012 servers on VMWare ESXi v5.5

@Sharik987 do you think that's the problem ?

January 7th, 2015 11:13pm

Hi,

Us too. We have various devices connecting to the server farm : 4 session hosts with a broker.

We have all patches and fixes up to Jan 2015 and still we end up with UPDs being locked even though all users have logged out. We have 250 users on the farm with around 125 active at any one time and get around 10-15 reports a day of temporary profiles. 

Any resources that will help mitigate this would be useful and a proper fix from MS would be just great around now. 

Our UPDs store most information but not My Docs/Music/Pics. All users get affected at some point however only once every few days they get a temp profile. Some of the fixes we perform:

1. When we see the user has an active and disconnected session, we log them both out and then they're ok
2. When the user is constantly getting temp profiles but has just one session, we log them out and then clear the file locks on the UPD
3. When a user has one session and the UPD VHD isn't locked after logout it's because their profile is corrupt and we have to ditch the UPD and start again for that user. 

If anyone can tell me what it is in the UPD that tells the RDS Session Host that it's corrupt then that would be a bonus so I don't have to recreate UPDs. Restoring a UPD from the night before doesn't work - is there a watermark in A/D somewhere ?

MS please get your act together, this should work so well - any news on anything related to this at all ??

January 8th, 2015 2:07pm

I think one of the problems is with Adobe PDF reader. It creates locked files in users profile, please check for those files in users /Locale Settings/Temp folder...

http://blogs.adobe.com/dmcmahon/2011/11/08/acrobatreader-tmp-files-left-behind-in-temp-folder-after-printing/

I would like both Microsoft and Adobe to fix this issue. It has been around for a long long time...

The fix mentioned to create the ACROT.INI file does not work for me on W2012R2....

January 14th, 2015 11:12am

Also see this post: http://blog.notmyfault.ch/?p=378 indicating that Adobe PDF Reader is the reason....
January 14th, 2015 11:23am

I am having this problem as well on a 2012 R2 RDS with UPD's.  It doesn't happen on every login, maybe every 5th or so, even as Admin on the console.  I've been investigating with process monitor and have found that Svchost.exe is creating the profile folders, then closing them. Opening them back up, but locking the file. Then access is denied from then on.  I also took a process monitor boot capture on a correct boot up and none of the errors occur.  In fact there are no "sharing violations" at all. I'm still sifting through the process monitor data, as I think something else is causing svchost.exe to lock the files.  I have a picture which makes this easier to understand but account verification is taking it's time today.  And just for good measure I uninstalled Adobe Reader and my Antivirus with no change in this problem.
January 16th, 2015 5:17pm

Here is my picture
January 16th, 2015 6:35pm

I have come to a conclusion that hope fully might help others in a similar situation.  While rebooting to collect many boot logs with Process Monitor, I noticed If I signed in on the console as soon as the login screen appeared I would receive a temporary profile. 100% of the time. If I was to let the login screen sit for 2 minutes before actually logging in, I would never receive a temporary profile.  I am storing my UPD on a SAS raid array, so maybe by logging in to quickly, the raid array isn't yet recognized.

Notice on the left side of the picture, when logging in quickly there is no mention of the UPD (VHDX). However on the right, on a successful login, svchost.exe is able to make a connection to the UPD. This isn't a production server, so I don't know if remote users would still receive temporary profiles. i will have to find some guinea pigs.

January 16th, 2015 10:02pm

I'm having this same issue and came across this thread which is over 1 year old.  I'm not having a good feeling about using UPD.  It's hard to believe the issue has been around so long an Microsoft hasn't done anything to resolve it.
February 19th, 2015 8:32pm

+1 I am having the same issue. Please release a hotfix ASAP!
February 27th, 2015 3:10pm

For those who are still having this issue, I have done what others have suggested by checking the registry for .bak entries here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. However, I have also had to recreate the UPD by mounting the "bad one", copying the data, then renaming to .old and allowing the system to recreate the UPD. Not the work around I was hoping for, but it gets my users back to work. Hopefully Microsoft will release a hotfix soon. 
March 2nd, 2015 7:52pm

Hi all!

In my case, I use RDS Farm,  problem was in hanged access to UVHD. Check Computer management -> Shared Folders -> Open files on server with UVHD, it`s not possible to connect to several RDS Farm servers at same time if you use User profile disks. 

April 7th, 2015 1:43pm

@Ilya Matveikin No same problem. This problem is regarding locked files in profile when user logs off....
May 12th, 2015 7:37am

We`ve still the same Problem on 2 2012 R2 Servers. One of them is the Connection Broker and the other is one of the RDS Host.

On the connection Broker is no GPO with Roaming Profile Settings linked and we dont use UPD`s. The local Administrator get`s a temporary profile too. No pending Profile List entrys or Tempfolders present.

August 18th, 2015 2:00pm

We have just set up a small 2012R2 RDS farm with two 2012R2 vm's and have profiles disks on a management servers hard drive share

All of a sudden one user that has logged in and out many times with no issues has gotten a temp profile issue

And news on a fix for this as it will be hard to convince my bosses that this is the way to go ahead if this keeps recurring 

September 15th, 2015 12:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics