2012 R2 Live Migration slow between 52% ~ 81%

Two Dell R720 with 8 Nics each (4 x Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_165F & 4 x Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I340-T2 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1516)

All drivers/firmware is upto date (BCMis 16.6.0.4, Intel is 12.6.47.1)

Teaming LACP/Hyper-V Port

3 Vlans set: Management, Live Migration, Cluster

Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan -ManagementOS -VMNetworkAdapterName Live Migration -Access -VlanId 201

Live migration jumps from 3% to 52%, then struggles one by one from 52% to 81% then it finishes almost instantly

Checked & re-checked everything, can not figure what is causing it

Help appreciated

Seb

February 13th, 2015 10:01am

Not sure what you are asking, but if you are expecting to see a smooth progress bar on the live migration, don't.  I have never been able to figure out how they come up with the numbers they show, but I have always seen a rather uneven increment of the per cent complete numbers.  They have always had big jumps and periods of no or slow increments.  I think what is happening is the first 50% is moving the configuration file across.  Then the memory starts going.  The size of memory affects the increments.  The change rate of the memory affect the increments.  And I think the final finish is something like they know they have several individual steps to complete the process after all memory is finally moved.  Because it is several steps, the per cent is not close to 100%, but the steps are small and execute rapidly causing the last bit to appear to go very rapidly.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 13th, 2015 7:20pm

Hi Seb,

I would like to check if you need further assistance .

Best Regards,

Elton JI

February 17th, 2015 12:38am

It is not the "smoothness" of the progress bar.

It is the fact that between 52% and 81% the process takes WAY too long.

After all it only transfers few gigs (at lost) of memory over 1 Gb link.

I could write it quicker to a mechanical drive over the same link!

Seb

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 17th, 2015 5:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics