2008 x64 Enterprise memory problem
Hi: Here's the deal: I'm testing 2008 Enterprise on my Vista workstation PC. Here's the setup: ECS AMD690G MB, Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and 2x1 GB OCZ PC2 6400 RAM. This configuration worked perfectly. I went to MicroCenter to double the RAM and procured identical (only larger) OCZ RAM 2x2GB. After installing the RAM upgrade the audio on the server now makes completely distorted sounds, and there is a video problem every time I close out of a Hyper-V machine. The screen gets all distorted and after a few seconds the server blue screens with a 0x0000016 error referring to ATIKDMAG.SYS. That makes sense I guess, because of the video problem. I suspected bad RAM so I exchanged it for another pair of DIMMs, but no luck. The server works fine with ONE of the 2 GB DIMMs installed, it even works fine with one of the 2 GB DIMMs and one of the original 1 GB DIMMs for a total of 3 GBs. It just won't work with 4 GB. Thanksmark(at)skiandsail(dot)com
April 16th, 2009 3:03am

hi there, yes we have observed lot of issues related to ATI display cards in the past and present . you need to contact ATI vendor and provide them your analysis which we did when we encountered error and they send us the latest driver.please make sure ATIKDMAG.SYS is supported on vista and download latest version of ATIKDMAG.SYSsainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 16th, 2009 8:17am

I'm sorry, I may have confused the issue somewhat. I'm testing Server 2008 on my FORMER Vista workstation. I put a new drive in to test Server 2008. Does it make sense that it works with 2GB RAM, 3GB RAM and then fails with 4GB RAM?
April 16th, 2009 10:46pm

Hi Mark, It seems there are some problem with the memory, please plug 2x2 GB memory in the memory slots and then boot the computer from Windows Server 2008 installation disk to have a memory diagnosis. Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 17th, 2009 2:21pm

I resolved the problem. I went in to sysconfig and set it to 2 processors and 4096 RAM and that resolved the problem. I should have tried those settings separately, but I was in a hurry. Thanks for your help.
April 22nd, 2009 10:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics