2008 SSIS Designer stops working after installing VS11 Dev Preview

Immediately after installing the Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview, I was no longer able to open a SSIS package in VS 2008. I uninstalled it and all the .NET 4.5 associated packages, reinstalled both VS 2008 and SQL 2008, but still it refuses to work. 

This is the specific error I get when attempting to open one. 

===================================

An error prevented the view from loading. (Microsoft Visual Studio)

===================================

The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E) (System.Windows.Forms)

------------------------------

Program Location:

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CoCreateInstance(Guid& clsid, Object punkOuter, Int32 context, Guid& iid)

at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateWithoutLicense(Guid clsid)

at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateWithLicense(String license, Guid clsid)

at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateInstanceCore(Guid clsid)

at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateInstance()

at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.GetOcxCreate()

at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.TransitionUpTo(Int32 state)

at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateHandle()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.ComponentDiagram.CreateDdsView(Control parentControl)

at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.DtsComponentDiagram.CreateDdsView(Control parentControl)

at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.DdsDiagramHostControl.set_ComponentDiagram(ComponentDiagram value)

at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.ControlFlowControl.set_ComponentDiagram(ComponentDiagram value)

at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.DtsPackageView.CreateControlFlowEditor(VsStyleToolBar pageViewToolBar)

at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.EditorWindow.EnsureViewIsLoaded(EditorView view)

September 27th, 2011 7:34pm

:) 

I faced the same issue when I installed DENALI on my system. I removed Denali from my system and repaired the SQL Server 2008 and things started working for me.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 27th, 2011 8:24pm

Just for future reference (and for any unfortunate soul that comes here hoping for a solution), just repairing didn't work in my case. I hadn't installed DENALI on my PC, just Visual Studio 11. Apparently VS11 also updates the "Microsoft Design Tools - Diagram Surface", which are also used by Visual Studio 2008.

After some procmon sessions, I found out that msdds.dll tries to search for MSVCR110.dll, which of course isn't there when you have uninstalled Visual Studio 11 (technology preview at that point)

I solved the problem by deleting the whole folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8", and copying it from a machine that was working. Not the smoothest solution, I know, but it did work!

• Proposed as answer by Bassam Eid Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:46 PM
December 6th, 2011 6:38pm

Thanks George!

That did the trick.

• Proposed as answer by DotNetMonster Friday, November 09, 2012 4:05 PM
February 2nd, 2012 8:03pm

Yes, thank you George!

Before I deleted my folder I did a compare of the contents and the compare showed that the folders (existing and new) were identical. It didn't start working until I actually deleted the old one and replaced it. Why this is the case is beyond me, but it works now. Your direction has been MUCH appreciated!
February 17th, 2012 5:44pm

I started getting this problem after installing SP1 for SQL Server 2008 R2, even though it finished successfully!

Repair didn't work, the trick with the files copied from a working machine did.  Thanks!!

February 22nd, 2012 1:39pm

Thank you George, that did the trick.
February 29th, 2012 10:34pm

Wow, brutal, I got stuck by this as well, after the file copy all ok again for me as well.
March 8th, 2012 3:23am

Thank you George!!!!

You have no idea how long I have been trying to figure this out. 

Unfortunately, the way msdn is structured, you have to weed through all the thousands of "You might try this or maybe that" before you get to someone like you who says "I solve the problem by...".

I think we should start reporting the clutterers as abuse so people like George can really stand out.

Thank you again George.

You are one in a million.

Philbert

March 30th, 2012 2:18am

Thanks G - this solution worked for me too!
April 13th, 2012 4:29pm

Thanks for the post.  I was about to throw my machine out a window and start over.
April 16th, 2012 9:13pm

George's solution works a treat.  For me the problem was the ER diagram designer in SQL Server Management Studio stopped working, but it was exactly the same symptoms.
May 2nd, 2012 11:08am

Hi I had the same problem. I managed to solve the problem by uninstalled Visual Studio 11, All SQL Server 2012 applications and SSDT.  I also re-installed  SQL Server 2008 R2 - Clients Tools and replied the Services Pack 1 and latest Cumulative Update.  I also deleted the following folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8".  I then finally replied the Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1.

May 19th, 2012 9:53pm

Thanks so much!  I spent two days trying to uninstall and re-install and figure this out before I found your post.  I appreciate your help!
June 4th, 2012 10:41pm

Hey thanks Geroge, it realy works. I recently installed VS2011 and unistalled it and after that I having the same issues.

Thanks a lot.

Bhausaheb Patil.

India, Nasik.

June 15th, 2012 10:09am

Thanks George!
June 20th, 2012 8:50pm

Thanks George .. You the Man...

Rgds

Raj

June 21st, 2012 12:03pm

by deleting the whole folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8" and apply VS 2008 SP1 worked for me.  Thanks. 
July 6th, 2012 5:31am

Well played George! I had same issue after installing VS 2012 Premium, uninstalled vs 2012 premium, installed 2008 sp1 - no luck, tried your solution and back to normal. Thanks!
September 27th, 2012 2:01pm

THis should be the answer to the question, this also worked for me.
October 5th, 2012 3:02am

A million thanks George!  Saved me from a reimage of my laptop!
October 10th, 2012 9:56pm

Thanks George!

That solved it for me to!

I copied the folder from a 32-bit Win7-laptop over to my 64-bit Win7 workstation and now it all works!

Thanks a million!

/Fred

October 19th, 2012 4:30pm

George your the man! thanks for saving me today! I wasted a half a day yesterday with this issue and that just resolved it.

Additionally I would like to add that All the DLLs after removing the beta version of VS2k11 remain! WTF MSFT!!! If I uninstall something don't leave lingering DLLs on my system!!

MSFT you owe me 4 hours of my life now!

Thanks again George!

October 19th, 2012 6:24pm

My first post on a forum ever.  I have been struggling with this problem for days.  I just had to add my word of thanks to George.  I deleted the MSdesigner8 folder from my x64 and copied a new one from x86.  It works!
November 7th, 2012 2:31am

Yes, thank you George!

Before I deleted my folder I did a compare of the contents and the compare showed that the folders (existing and new) were identical. It didn't start working until I actually deleted the old one and replaced it. Why this is the case is beyond me, but it works now. Your direction has been MUCH appreciated!
Seems like uninstallation of VS2012 does not roll back the files in the MSDesigners8 folder to older versions. When i checked the .NET version in the properties it showed me the version for VS2012. I copied the files form another workstation with version 9.0 and it worked.
November 9th, 2012 7:22pm

Wanna say "thank you" to George for the solution.

I just newly installed MS Sql server 2012 today and followed MS data warehouse tutorials. But this issue took me half day to scratch my head and pull my hairs before and after Christmas dinner. After installing VS 2010 in another machine and copy the MSDesigners8 folder to the problem PC, it works.

Don't understand why MS didn't release a "hot fix" in the whole 2012 year since George's original post on Dec 6, 2011. 

December 26th, 2012 11:10am

Thanks George! Worked perfectly!

-Anand

January 11th, 2013 1:23am

Had the same problem with VS2012, and it worked.

Thanks man.

February 19th, 2013 4:58pm

Thanks George Schizas you solved my problem.

copied the files from another machine (which were actually larger DLL's) and I can now open and create new SSIS packages.

Thank you!

March 1st, 2013 1:58pm

Thanks George..it did worked like a charm...thanks again..

• Edited by kgarg Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:13 AM
March 12th, 2013 11:13am

Thank you very much George, this solved a problem that I struggled with for 4 hours. I've got a legacy VS2008 SSIS solution to support using VS2008 (the solution has not been upgraded yet, it is on my to-do list) and I was not able to open VS2008 SSIS packages, after installing VS2012.

After reading your post, I came to a simlar solution that did not require copying from a second machine. Here's what I did on Windows 7:

• Removed what had been installed for VS2012
  • Renamed the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8" as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8_OLD"
  • In Control Panel, went to Programs and Features, selected "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell (integrated mode)"
  • Clicked 'Repair'
  • A new folder was created by the repair process at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8" containing the correct DLLs
  • Delete the "_OLD" folder

Worked like a dream. Thank you.

• Edited by P334237 Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:55 AM
  • Proposed as answer by AmarReddy23 Friday, January 03, 2014 9:54 PM
August 1st, 2013 2:54pm

Thks a lot for your suggestion.
November 19th, 2013 6:44pm

Your solution worked perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion.
November 20th, 2013 9:45pm

My hero ;)

Thx

December 17th, 2013 10:00pm

Thank you for this simple yet effective answer. I really did not care to play the "chase the dll game" after installation.

I love MS products but guys, you really need to clean up after an uninstall. Really!

Peace,

Myst

December 27th, 2013 7:08pm

Thanks this is best solution..

January 4th, 2014 12:54am

Had this problem over a year ago and resolved it by uninstalling 2012 AND 2010 and resinstalling all 3. This solution fixed the problem without having to uninstall anything. Thanks for you help
March 3rd, 2014 2:05pm

The solution in my case was to delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8 and reinstall VS2008 SP1. The MSDesigners8 folder was recreated with the correct dll's in it and everything works fine now.
March 24th, 2014 10:50pm

Thanks,It did work. 
July 16th, 2014 5:54am

Thanks man!!!
November 13th, 2014 3:41pm

Great solution :-D

Removing Denali + repair 2008r2 didn't work, your solution rocks !

February 4th, 2015 6:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics