2008 R2 storage folder
I just installed a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine in my home network - server+laptop+desktop. I can see all machine, access the files I want, just curious if there is a preferred folder on the server to store documents. Right now I have a few in Server - Users - Default - Documents to test with, seems OK. I'd like a separate folder on C:\ drive if at all possible. Then I can direct desk top and lap top to it for file access. Thought I'd ask before I do something I regret. This is my 1st Server experience, so my knowledge base is about empty. Laptop = Win7 Pro x64 Desktop = Win7 Ult x 64 Home/Private network
November 30th, 2010 8:55am

Hello, for data storage you should use another partition then the system drive, use a separate disk in the server or at least another drive. Leave the C: for system and installed applications.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 30th, 2010 9:42am

Thanks Meinwolf. I have another HD on order. If I put all the files on the 2nd HD, which should be D:\ drive, will I still be able to access them from the laptop and desk top?
November 30th, 2010 9:50am

Hello, as long as the folder is also shared like the other one and permissions are configured, you are able to access it the same way. Either with \\ipaddress\sharename or \\computername\sharenameBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 30th, 2010 9:55am

Once again, thank you. When the new HD gets here, I'll put it to work :-)
November 30th, 2010 10:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics