2008 R2 SP1 RDP Listener not found
Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Standard Edition. This server is a Virtual Machine, and has the following roles installed: AD DS, DHCP, DNS, File Services, Print and Document Services, Web Server (IIS). On 6/11/2012 I was able to access this machine using Remote Desktop, and on 6/12 I was not. As remote desktop failure is a rather common problem, there has been plenty of troubleshooting done. What it comes down to, is that there are no Remote Desktop Listeners listed under Sessions in the Remote Desktop Services manager, nor is anything actively listening on the default ports. Firewalls off, Remote Connection Manager is started, no error messages, I can see termsrv as running from the task manager services tab. Again, there is nothing listening which is why I can't RD to the box. I have no active error messages from either client or server side, and only receive the generic unable to connect message when trying to connect using remote desktop. Windows updates are current, and this box is roughly the same as about 60 other domain controllers. All 2008 R2 SP1 - The basics - Yes, Remote Desktop is enabled. Yes I have recreated the connection using Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration. The connection shows a nice little Green Up Arrow. Security is set to Negotiate, and the Domain Controller has a current Certificate from our internal CA> Mind you - none of this changed, RDP just stopped working. I have read blogs and technet articles pointing to remotepg.dll, and this has been copied from another server and registered. It fails with an error of The DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80040201 -- and yes, it was run from an Administrative command prompt. For a shot in the dark, I also ran regsvr32 from the syswow64 directory c:\windows\syswow64\remotepg.dll -- and that registers without an error, but I don't believe it to be the correct file. When about to post this question, I followed the available links, and one post stated that giving permissions to the network service account at CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\RCM was the solution --- no, the network service account does not need permission to this key. Looking in the system saved logs for Microsoft-WindowsTerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager Operational --- I find - the previous log ins, authorizations, an informational stating that the Terminal Server role is not installed. In addition, what started showing up is "Event 1155, TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager. The remote connection manager selected Kernel mode RDP protocol stack" that is the only change in logs I notice. Replacing termdd.sys, and tcpip.sys to reset those did not affect this problem. As this is a VM, I just added a few more NICs to test. Both synthetic and legacy - I was not able to RD to the IPs I assigned to either of these. And for process of elimination, I specifically stated to use them in the Connection settings, rebooted, and was not able to RD. That has since been changed back to Any network adapter. In case this was a corrupt registry tree, I replaced the entire Terminal Server tree in the registry from another virtual DC. Despite having all services stopped, it did bark at me that some keys were not overwritten do to being in use by a process. And, this is where I stop for the day.
June 14th, 2012 6:18pm

Hi Kyle, There is an update available, however I dont suspect it will correct the issue. Either way its worth updating if you have not already done so (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2617878) In relation to the issue itself I would advise you to check the following file should it exist (C:\WINDOWS\system32\rdpwsx.DLL) Open the properties and see who the publisher is. It should be Microsoft, however I have heard reports of this specific DLL being replaced by another DLL published by Adobe (I have absolutely no idea why, but it seems related to Adobe India) Check the following file should it exist (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\rdpwsx.DLL) and if this file is Microsoft published, then copy it across to (C:\WINDOWS\system32\rdpwsx.DLL) and reboot the server. Hopefully it should work for you. Martin *NB - Advice given is personal advice from my own experience, Please use at your own risk. Interfering with System files can have adverse consequences on your system.If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 14th, 2012 11:22pm

The file rdpwsx.dll was missing. However, putting a replacement file in the system32 directory did not resolve the issue. The hotfix is not applicable, because I do not have the role service installed. I'm probably going to just flatten the box, and deploy a new one; but I find it really frustrating the number of people that seem to have this issue without a solution. I won't be able to replace it for a couple of weeks, so I'm willing to do just about anything to it to try and figure this out before then. Thanks for the ideas!
June 15th, 2012 10:24am

I went forward and installed Remote Desktop Services Role -- which was partially successful. It installed, but the final result was Installation succeeded with errors. "Attempt to configure Remote Desktop Session Host failed with error code 0x80004005. Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component." Which appears to be a bug related to group policy setting interfering with the installation of the Role itself. Remote Desktop Session Host Installed with just the general licensing warning.
June 15th, 2012 12:26pm

Hi, Please try to isolate the server in a new OU and apply block inheritance group policy, then try to reinstall the role. If the issue still persists, get the server out of domain and try to reinstall the role. Remote Desktop disconnected or cant connect to remote computer or to Remote Desktop server (Terminal Server) that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2477176 Best Regards, AidenAiden Cao TechNet Community Support
June 18th, 2012 2:09am

Hi, Please try to isolate the server in a new OU and apply block inheritance group policy, then try to reinstall the role. If the issue still persists, get the server out of domain and try to reinstall the role. Remote Desktop disconnected or cant connect to remote computer or to Remote Desktop server (Terminal Server) that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2477176 Best Regards, Aiden Aiden Cao TechNet Community Support Hi Aiden, Normally I would, but I'm not actively trying to install the Role Services. There appears to be corrupt, or missing file directly related to the RDP 7.2 services. Installing the Role was a step to try and reestablish another connection entry point. Thank you for linking the troubleshooting steps for RDP, which is where we end up with my problem of no listeners being available. However, the Microsoft resolution for Listeners not being available is that the port is most likely being used by another service. Which isn't the case. Using Netstat shows that the port is not being listened on by any service, and qwinsta does not list the listeners at all. Which is why I titled the thread RDP Listener not found. Do you feel that getting the Remote Desktop Services role installed with remedy the underlying problem, and establish the service to listen again?
June 18th, 2012 10:04am

Hi Kyle Did you end up finding a resolution for this? We have a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Standard Edition VM that is experiencing exactly the same issue with no listener and nothing else listening on 3389. Just keen to know what else you may have tried since your last post.
July 31st, 2012 8:29pm

We have a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Standard Edition VM that is experiencing exactly the same issue with no listener and nothing else listening on 3389. Just keen to know what else you may have tried since your last post. Hi stvmph, couple of suggestions here. Try running sfc /scannow on affected server from elevated cmd (run as admin), if any system files are missing or gone corrupt, sfc should fix those. If sfc /scannow doesn't help, you might want to try in-place upgrade of the OS as a last option. How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099 You might get some more help in Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/threads I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. - .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....
August 1st, 2012 1:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics