2008 DC Status Unavailable when changing directory server
Hello, while testing/playing withServer 2008, in my two separate test domains. One, a4 DC native 2008 domain and two, a mixed 2003 R2 / 2008 domain. I noticedwheneverI right click on my domain, from one of the roles, and choose change domain controller, and the change DirectoryServer menu comes up. It also shows my W2K8 DC's status as being Unavailable. MyW2K3 DC's all show Online. Why is that? It does not prevent me from managing them or performing any function that i know of. I have the firewall's off thinking it was some kind of SNMP traffic but that didn't change anything.Any ideas?Thanks
June 27th, 2008 11:33am

I spoke to soon on my pervious post. Not all W2K8 DC show Unavailable, just the DC where i am consoled to.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 27th, 2008 11:44am

David Shen - MSFT said: Hi KVCCC, The "Online" status in the dialog box of "Chang Directory Server" means that DC is online to be connected from the other DC. What is the "Unavailable" status means that it doesn't make sense to connect to the DC that we have already logon. Hope it helps. Your potential. Our passion. Are you sure about that?I setup a test enviorment with a 2003 dc, when i promoted a 2008 server, and both shows as online.then i added promoted a 2008 dc on my prod enviorment, and that shows as unavailable. as a result, when i transfer fsmo roles i get group policy problems./Michael
August 18th, 2008 3:53am

G'dayI have this same issue MrMVP, have you worked out what this is about? I can still seem to change to that DC from another DC eventhough it says "Unavailable".
October 7th, 2008 10:06pm

Same problem here.
December 1st, 2008 3:07pm

I know this is old...but this is the only online link I found regarding this problem...and RagnarNO was right on the money about "IPv6" at least for our environment. Thanks!
February 15th, 2010 4:40pm

I also experienced same issue. I just enabled TCPIPv6 and the server status is now Online. It won't affect anything to have it on at this point
May 19th, 2011 5:09pm

thnx bro problm solved :)
November 30th, 2011 5:12am

Thanks for the information. It is over 3 years since RagnarNO gave this solution and it is the only one I could find on the net. Works like a charm.
March 7th, 2012 2:20pm

Dear RagnarNO, thank you for your information. I had the same situation and now it resolved by enabling IPV6.
April 5th, 2012 1:23pm

Thanks RagnarNO, worked a treat. Cheers!!
June 4th, 2012 4:31pm

Same issue - worked for me!!!
July 3rd, 2012 4:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics