2008 C drive size requirement
Hi,How much space should you allocate for your OS, your C drive, when building a 2008 server? Tommy
September 10th, 2008 9:10pm

Microsoft recommends up to 40 GB of hard disk space for Full Installations of Windows Server 2008. While this might sound excessive, it's really something that might be expectedwhen looking at howdisk usage (clean installation, installation files, pagefiles, servicepacks, free space needed to install servicepacks)has developed through the years. I don't recommend deleting files from your hard disk, since you might experience problems in future usage scenarios of your server (similar to vLite problems actually) but you might benefit from moving some types of files from your Windows drive to other drives.When you're looking fora Windows Server 2008 installation with the footprint of a Windows Server 2003 installation I suggest taking a look at the Server Core installation option.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2008 10:10pm

What about 2003? And does that go for Virtualized servers as well? Do you need 40gb allocated just for the OS in Virtual Servers as well?And does 2003 server require the same?Tommy
September 10th, 2008 10:22pm

Tommypa said: What about 2003? Seeyour topic here for an answer to that specific question. Tommypa said: And does that go for Virtualized servers as well? Do you need 40gb allocated just for the OS in Virtual Servers as well? Yes.Windows Server 2008 as a virtual machine requires the same amount of patches, Service Packs, installations files, Side by Side configuration as a physical installation.Depending on the role of the server, the installed roles and features, and the desired level of reliability you need for the server you can: Add virtual disks to your virtual machines for specific roles (for instance a web server could do withan extra virtual disk to place the virtual directories onto) Use differencing disks to minimize disk usage on the Virtual Host (Parent Partition), but this is not recommended for many critical servers, like Active Directory Domain Controllers and may result in catastrophic errors when the original disk corrupts, fails or goes missing.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2008 10:33pm

Sander Berkouwer said:Microsoft recommends up to 40 GB of hard disk space for Full Installations of Windows Server 2008. Whoa! If microsoft recommends that much, i really wonder what the needed capacity would be in couple of years. Could it be that service packs and everything else just takes all that space... I just got scared that in couple of years we could have OS-partitions with 40-60GB size ;)Ok, maybe not, but just an though :)Henry Eklf :: Just one random IT-guy more.
September 10th, 2008 11:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics