2008R2 BranchCache file/content server - how to set file system location & size of generated hashes?

Hi - It looks to me like the PublicationCache location, configurable via "netsh branchcache set publicationcache directory=<directory>", is where hashes generated for files within a BranchCache-enabled share end up.  I can set this via command line on my Content/File Server.  (If it is possible to set this location per-file share, I would be interested in knowing how to do that.)

But it does not appear that I can set the "publicationcachesize" unless I "enable BranchCache" on the server.  But according to this article, "BranchCache feature" is not required for "Content server (file server using the SMB protocol)".  I do have the needed "BranchCache for network files" Role Service installed, proper GPO setup to enable Hash Publication for BranchCache for shared folders where BranchCache is enabled, and "Enable BranchCache" checked on a test file share.  But when I attempt a "netsh branchcache set publicationcachesize" command, it tells me "This command can only be executed when BranchCache is installed."

So, is the article I'm reading mistaken about the need for BranchCache to be "enabled" on the Content Server?  Or am I misunderstanding the relationship between hash code storage location & the publication cache, or something else?

Thanks!

June 24th, 2013 11:24pm

Hi,

I think it is ture that BranchCache is not needed, as following article also provided the same description:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee307962(v=WS.10).aspx

Content server (file server using the SMB protocol) --- BranchCache for network files role service of the File Services server role

However from the error message, the command "netsh branchcache" require BranchCache function. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 26th, 2013 3:04pm

Does anyone know where hashes generated with hashgen or on-demand get stored on a 2008R2 SMB Content Server?  I generated a bunch of them with hashgen and the publicationcache does not have anything in it other than a sub-folder with a long GUID name that is empty.  The original default location of the publicationcache also does not exist.  Thanks.
July 2nd, 2013 2:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics