2003 first, 2008 next! Domain controllers..
We havetwo Windows 2003 servers in two locations One location (HQ)where the domain controller sits, has 85 users on it, and other location (remote office) has another 6 users. Now, the Windows 2003 server works as an additional domain controller and provides redundancy for the main domain controller in the HQ. The server hardware in the remote site is quite old and we need to move it to the new server hardware. Since, I have not done this before, I would like if you guys can give me recommendation. I am thinking installing the fresh copy of 2003 server on the new hardware, and then run dcpromo to add it as a domain controller to the existing network. Is it that simple or am I missing something? The second step will be to upgrade all the existing 2003 servers (9 in total) to Windows 2008 server. I just want to hear if you have specific instructions or points to make for this transfer. Please, advice me on the first issue first, if you can as I have to do it this week. Thanks in advance!
April 22nd, 2008 9:51pm

There is really no need to install Windows Server 2003 on the new server first and upgrade it later to Windows Server 2008. You can install Windows Server 2008 right away, which in turn saves you the work and (potential) trouble of upgrading in-place. Transitioning Introducing the first Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller in high level steps involves: Preparing your Active Directory for Windows Server 2008 by running adprep.exe on the following servers in your Active Directory environment: Command Domain Controller adprep.exe /forestprep Schema Master adprep.exe /domainprep Infrastructure Master adprep.exe /domainprep /gpprep Infrastructure Master adprep.exe /rodcprep * Domain Naming Master * Optional when you want to deploy Read Only Domain Controllers. Checking the adprep.log file for any errors and allowing sufficient time for replication to all Domain Controllers Runningdcpromo.exe on the Windows Server 2008 Server Check proper promotion and replication Upgrading in-place Upgrading Windows Server 2003 Domain Controllers in place to Windows Server 2008 is a little more tricky. You need to check the patchlevel, architecture, edition andfree space requirements, along with any application incompatibility. Luckily Microsoft provides a tool for this, called the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution Accelerator (MAP) to assist you. It is recommended to upgrade your Domain Controller holding the FSMO roles first. When your environment allows it, it is recommended to: Transfer all the Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) roles from the root domain (3) and the entire forest (2) to a single Active Directory Domain Controller Make all Domain Controllers Global Catalogs When you're done When you're done transitioning and upgrading your Active Directory Domain Controllers be sure to perform the following tasks to benefit from all the new stuff Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 Active Directory have to offer: Demote or remove any remaining Windows Server 2003 Domain Controllers Raise the Domain Functional Level to Windows Server 2008 Raide the Forest Functional Level to Windows Server 2008
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 23rd, 2008 8:54am

Thanks a lot Sander for your reply. I understand this, and so is my manager. It is just so that our company is going to some restructuring and will be becoming a part of our parent company. Therefore, the senior management don't want to buy new licenses for 2008 servers and Vista...until they know who will be buying them However, since the hardware was already ordered and we have license for 2003 Server and the current hardware is failing, I was told to do this project for a month. So, will you be kind enough to tell me the procedure for 2003 additional domain controller for the site. I will definitely keep your previous post with me for the 2008 server upgrade. Thanks for understanding and help. Please reply.
April 23rd, 2008 8:00pm

Be sure toprovide the new Windows Server 2003 with appropriate IP and DNSsettings. To install a Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller to your existing Windows Server 2003-based Active Directory environment simply run dcpromo.exe and select the right choices in the wizard. Check proper promotion afterwards by inspecting dcpromoui.log. Good luck!
April 23rd, 2008 11:58pm

Thanks a lot. So, nothing to worry about FSMO??
April 24th, 2008 1:37am

FSMO Roles If you're happy with the current placement of your Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) roles you should not have any problems. When Domain Controllers you want to remove contain FSMO roles make sure your Windows Server 2003 Domain Controllers are no longer clinging on to any of the Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) Roles before demoting them using the graphical user interface, using replmon or the following command using netdom.exe from the Resource Kit: netdom.exe query fsmo Global Catalogs In multiple site scenarios and environments with Microsoft Exchangeit is important to look at Global Catalog (GC) placement. The Infrastructure FSMO role is key in GC placement.In multiple Domain Controller scenarios Jorge has a good rule of thumb on Global Catalogs and the Infrastructure Master Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) Role. Either: Don't make the Domain Controller holding the Infrastructure Master Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) Role a Global Catalog server; Make all Domain Controllers Global Catalog servers. When your environment includes Microsoft Exchange Server reboot a Domain Controller after making it a Global Catalog server. Microsoft Exchange communicates with Active Directory through Global Catalogs using MAPI. Although the Active Directory Sites and Services MMC Snap-in doesn't ask for it you need to restart a Domain Controller at least one time after making it a Global Catalog before it starts talking MAPI Windows Server 2003 R2 I didn't give it much attention, but you mentioned you bought a new server with a Windows Server license. Assuming you bought this server recently I guess the license would be Windows Server 2003 R2. When you try to dcpromo this new server you might receive the following error: Error message when you run the Active Directory Installation Wizard: "The version of the Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of Active Directory on this computer" Microsoft Knowledgebase article 917385 explains this in great detail: Before you can make your new server a Domain Controller you need to run adprep.exe from the 2nd CD of the Windows Server 2003 R2 Mediakit. I'm sorry for my late response.
April 24th, 2008 8:48am

Thanks a lot Sander. I got all the answers I was looking for. I see it much clear after your responce. Again, thanks.
April 25th, 2008 1:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics