2003 Standard R2 hangs on reboot
I have a few Server that just hang on shutdown. Event log show the shutdown to be successful (Event log service has stopped) but it's stuck. Just moving the mouse or pressing any key, the screen returns and it says "Windows is shutting down" and then it reboots. I am not able to replicate the issue manually. It seem only to happen when automatic updates install and reboot or if a scheduled reboot via task scheduler happens. Running the task it's fine, just when it's totally unattended. This is happening on both VM and Physical hardware. Any ideas?
April 24th, 2010 3:02am

Hi, This issue can be caused by improperly hardware driver or third party programs. Please find a physical machine and perform following steps: 1. Go to Device Manager, disable hardware devices including sound card, network card, CDROM etc (monitor and display card cannot be disabled), shutdown to see if issue persists. 2. If so, try disable all third party programs. We can do the step in MSCONFIG --- disable all startup items (startup tab) and "hide Microsoft services" to disable all third party services (Services tab), click OK, reboot and then shutdown the computer. Computer will be shutdown without loading third party programs. Please check if issue still exists.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 27th, 2010 10:37am

hi, In line to shaon shan suggestion, i would recommend you to test this behavior in safe mode. It is very difficult to predict which service / app is causing the issue, so if the issue is not reproduced in safe mode then one of the a) application b) service / dll is related to the problem which requires additional diagnosis .
May 5th, 2010 10:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics