2003 OS size
How much space should you allocate for your OS, your C drive, when building a 2003 server?
September 10th, 2008 9:06pm

For Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2 I recommend 20 - 24GB C:\ drives when placing dynamic data and non-Operating System data off the C:\ drive, including (but not limited to) the i386 folder, the pagefile, SQL databases,user folders, IIS virtual directories and Active Directory files. While this might sound excessive, it's really something that might be expectedwhen looking at howdisk usage (clean installation, installation files, pagefiles, servicepacks, free space needed to install servicepacks)has developed through the years.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2008 10:14pm

Definetly 20 - 30 GB.I have had made some poor decisions giving only 10-15 GB at the past. Allthought you can move lots of log files, pagefile etc and even later, why bother? Usually nowadays at least at my environments you have minimum of 140 - 320GB disk space to use, so 30 GB isnt that much of an loss when partitioning.And yes, something strange could really happen that you just cant predict. For one example, i had one web-server where developers did somekind of changes and Frameworks temporary files suddenly get few GB:s bigger. I tryed to move those temp-files, but it didnt just work out quite well :)So...even though you imagine everything, something WILL happen and then you would be really happy, if you got some extra space :) Henry Eklf :: Just one random IT-guy more.
September 10th, 2008 11:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics