100% CPU Utilization in Server 2000
Have a lone Windows 2000 Server machine with all current updates. It is used by 3 people at most which may be why no one noticed the problem untill now. I suspect a Windows update. CPU utilization is 100% most all of the time. Originally the antivirus software was doing most of the damage. Booted in safe mode and disabled those services but they were replaced by svchost using tons of CPU time. Currently Taskmgr.exe uses 30-50% CPU when it is running. Trying to end any process but taskmgr results is Access is Denied. Anyone else seen this recently? John.
May 3rd, 2010 4:33pm

First I would suggest an online scan to check if your server does not have any virus on it. Second download Process Monitor for microsoft website and check what is consumming your system resources. What services do you have installed on your server, bayme high CPU usage comes from database i.e. MS SQL or Oracle?With kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 3rd, 2010 4:43pm

Above all, as Krystian mentioned, confirm if it is caused by virus. As the issue will not occur in Safe Mode, it should be a third party program or system services which causes the issue. Here are the steps we could do: Open Task Manager ============= 1. Right-click Taskbar. 2. Click "Task Manager" to open it. 3. Click "view", choose "Select Columns". 4. Check the "PID (Process Identifier)" option. 5. Write down the PID of the process which using 100% CPU usage. Then please run the following command in CMD: tasklist /svc It will create a log file "output.txt" on C:. Find the PID we just write down, copy the related entry back to here. Above steps can help us find the process which causing the issue, and find services running in the process to help us continue narrow down the root cause.
May 4th, 2010 10:23am

Malwarebytes found nothing and up to date AV software is running. Ok so I logged in remotely to the server and ran task manager. Current processes and their share are as follows. TASKMGR (PID 712) varies between 71% & 92% CSRSS (PID 3456) varies between 10% & 16% Tasklist does not appear to be present. Part of the resourse CD perhaps? That is what I have so far. Getting process monitor on this box will take some time. More later.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 6th, 2010 9:28pm

Hi, On Windows 2000 it should bt "tlist -s". Sorry for it. You can find the resourse kit tool package in Windows 2000 CD. It is located in CDROM:\support\tools\2000rkst.exe. After installing it, tlist.exe can be found at <systemdrive>:\program files\support tools\. Run the command "tlist -s" to show the service related to process. Let me know the result. Note: you can run "tlist -s > c:\result.txt" should output result to a txt file. Copy the result back to here. In addition, if you accept, try the Clean Boot steps listed below to see if it can help on narrow down the cause: How to perform clean-boot troubleshooting for Windows 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281770
May 7th, 2010 5:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics