0x8002801c error when trying to unregister scrrun.dll Win2008 R2 64bit
For the DoD STIGS, they want you to unregister the File System Component and their steps are to unregister scrrun.dll I'm on Win2008 R2, SP1, 64bit. I open a command prompt with 'run as administrator', I try regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll /u or regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\scrrun.dll And I've tried with the regsvr32.exe that is in c:\windows\syswow64 Everytime I get the same error 'The module 'c:\windows\system32\scrrun.dll' was loaded, but the call to DllUnregisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c.' Hits with google infer not running as administrator (but I am) or registry permissions (didn't see anything glaring with Procmon). This is a vanilla box except a few minor adds like IIS, SQL Server 2008 R2. What can I do to be able to conform to this STIG on Win2008 R2 64bit?
March 14th, 2012 6:56pm

Hi, Thank you for the post. I find a article mentioned just need to regsvr32 scrrun.dll to resolve the STIG issue. Other suggestion is to unregister it in system safe mode or ask it to STIGS vendor. If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know. RegardsRick Tan TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 15th, 2012 4:15am

That article has nothing to do with the problem stated. That article is telling someone to register the scrrun.dll to fullfill a product requirement. The problem stated is the inability to UNREGISTER the windows supplied component using the Windows tools to do so... which is also the method described by Microsoft to tighten security on servers. Like this example for Sharepoint http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc723743.aspx The need to unregister this DLL is because of US Government DoD requirements. STIG is the term for the list of requirements they publish. The 'vendor' in this case is Microsoft.. which is why I'm posting on the Microsoft forum..
March 15th, 2012 1:56pm

Hi, In the process monitor tool, search for which process has load the scrrun.dll. Try to stop this process temp, and try to regsvr32 it again. If failed, try to boot to safe mode for test if the reboot is ok for this server. Or just try to rename this dll file, usually then wait for the "System File Checker" to replace the file from the dll cache. If that still fail to resolve it. Try to "regsvr32 scrrun.dll" to re-register the file again. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
March 21st, 2012 11:21am

Not really an answer. 1) The process monitor tool doesn't show any attempt to access the registry when the regsvr32.exe command is run. Regardless of if it's run from the command line, from the folder where regsvr32.exe installed, etc. 2) The same errors appear when ran from safe mode, either with networking enabled or command line only. 3) While regsvr32 scrrun.dll does register the DLL again, that has no effect on being able to then unregister it again. Still the same error 0x8002801c appears. I am in the exact same situation, trying to comply with the Windows 2008 R2 V1 R2 STIG as supplied by the DoD and confirmed through Microsoft.
April 6th, 2012 7:14pm

Ive had nothing but problems on the filesystemobject portions of STIGs (been there, done that, server2003, server2008, Exchange, IIS, etc). I remember earlier on implementing it, only to find out on the road w/ users my machine is bricked. Realize you cant run .reg's anymore, and some applications/installers depend on this being enabled. Bringing me to my point (from STIG): "Be aware some programs may require this component, so it is highly recommended this be tested completely before implementing...", "If the site has operation reasons to enable "FileSystemObject", and has supporting documentation... this is not a finding." In my cases, enabling it broke my apps. The workaround would be to re-register it, every time i needed it enabled, then disabling it again... got old, got it justified. I realize this might not help your issue, but if i were you i would get more/others input from the internet in regards on how much a hardache this can do, and how it can disable installs/apps.
April 12th, 2012 2:12pm

Hi, Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I'm also experiencing the same issue. Thanks,
May 7th, 2012 3:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics