.local in domain name
I have a client and the network is set up as gfr.local as the AD domain name. I came across this exerpt ont he internet:"Lastly, on a related topic it is best practice on small networks (less that 100 seats) to use a .local domain for you network DNS and AD domains and not your internet domain. Common practice is companyname.local where companyname is the name of your company or organisation."I never heard about this recomendation - can anybody clarify why is it considered a best practice?Thanks.Elijah,
March 15th, 2010 7:41pm

This is just a recommendation to use a different domain name then the one you use on the internet. The idea is to increase security and the chance of sharing your internal DNS name space with your external DNS namespace. The user count has nothing to do with this concept. It is recommeded in for networks of all sizes.However, I find that practice to be confusing for users, because when they want to access internal resouces vs. external resources, they will have to remember is the resource is host.resource.local vs. host.domain.com.You can use the same internal and external namespace as long as you know how to properly manage and seperate them. Since there may be overlap with using the same name (such as duplicating the external hostnames on your internal zones), it does require some additional effort.Another approach for internal networks is to use a child of the external such as company.com for the external namespace and int.company.com for the internal.Any of the three approaches is valid and each comes with advantages and disadvantes. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 15th, 2010 8:43pm

Thanks
March 15th, 2010 9:38pm

Hello,in addition to Jorges informations, there is a known problem with MAC OS when .local is used. So better change it to .loc for example.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 16th, 2010 9:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics