.dtsconfig file being used when try to edit to change some variables

hi there:

I've deployed my ssis pkg to the server and created a sql job to run this pkg. So far, everything is fine. Today, I got a request to change some variables inside the package which is part of the .dtsconfig.  I want to edit the deployed .dtsConfig but it won't allow me and always complained  that this file has been opened by another program. I am sure i've closed my ssis designer and other notpad, why can't I edit and save .dtsconfig file?

Thanks

July 20th, 2015 3:26pm

It seems that indeed the file is open by a different user or most likely process with changes pending.

If on the server use processexplorer to see what has an open handle to it.

It would not harm to provide as much as possible additional info like SSIS version, how the package is deployed,  etc.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2015 3:56pm

Thanks Arthur. I am using SSDT BI-2012 to develop this ssis package. Deployment is through package deployment mode using manifest. I copied the whole manifest folder to the target SSIS server and deployed over there. I did install the processexplorer but what should I look for? 

cheers

July 20th, 2015 4:34pm

Thanks Authur. I think I've found the reason. When I used my notepad++ to open the .dtsConfig, I did not choose the Run as Administrator mode.   I need to run this as administrator... After I open it as administrator, I was able to edit and save.   

This error message was quite misleading as this file was NOT open by any other program.

thanks

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2015 5:01pm

So I guessed, it was "open by a different user or most likely process" indeed.
July 20th, 2015 5:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics