.NET 4 Server installation?
I know there is "server installation" of .NET 4 framework. How one can ensure that his installation is server? I installed .NET 4 from standalone package on my W2008 R2 but I am not sure it was the "server installation". I assumed it should detect server OS and install it as a server but I checked System.Runtime.GCSettings.IsServerGC and it is false.. Seems like it installed workstation version.. Any thoughts?
May 2nd, 2010 11:23pm

Here's what I find. Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en Also note: Web Developers and Administrators To install the .NET Framework on a Web server or to setup an entire Web development environment, use the http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/install.aspx?appid=NETFX4RTM Additional Requirements for Server Installation If you have to perform a server installation, your computer must have the following software in addition to the basic requirements: Internet Information Services (IIS) version 6.0 or later. To access the features of ASP.NET, IIS with the latest security updates must be installed before the .NET Framework is installed. ASP.NET is supported only on Windows XP Professional, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2. (Recommended) Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8 or later NOTE: Most users do not have to perform a server installation. If you are unsure whether to perform a server installation, just perform a basic installation. You may want to also ask them here. microsoft.public.dotnet.framework http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dotnet.framework&cat=en_US_a4ab6128-1a11-4169-8005-1d640f3bd725&lang=en&cr=US Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 3rd, 2010 12:39am

Thanks Dave. I crossposted to the newsgroups. Just to clarify - my server is not Web server and I dont have IIS installed. I saw that note about IIS but I was hoping it will affect ASP.NET installation only which I dont need.. What is the difference between workstation and server installation anyway (except GC differences) ?
May 3rd, 2010 12:46am

The way I read it if you're not doing web development then you don't need to worry about it but better to let experts in microsoft.public.dotnet.framework tell you for sure. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 3rd, 2010 12:51am

OK. but I have to worry because if GC is not set up as server I have to set it up by hand in every application settings. And I dont like it. I need to install it as server once and forget about it. I agree this is border question between server and the framework itself but I'd like to get information from both sides. Experience of W2008 administrators is more important here as Framework people are most likely all about development not installation.. So I am keeping this question open.
May 3rd, 2010 12:56am

If you need the server install then it looks like you must first meet the requirements. Internet Information Services (IIS) version 6.0 or later. To access the features of ASP.NET, IIS with the latest security updates must be installed before the .NET Framework is installed. ASP.NET is supported only on Windows XP Professional, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2. (Recommended) Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8 or later Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 3rd, 2010 1:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics