*Urgent* How do I create an Inbound Rule on W2K8 for Authorized Computers
Hi All,I'm setting the the KMS and I want only Authorized Computers to use the access the KMS server... however....When I allow in Authorized Computers - Domain Computers and set the Allow only secure connections in the general tab my servers can't contact the KMS server....When I remove the Authorized Computers setting and change the Allow only secure connections to Allow the connections the KMS starts working again.Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong...CheersRobin
August 11th, 2008 1:18pm

*Bump*: any ideas????
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 12th, 2008 1:13pm

Hello, I am a little confused. Do you mean the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security? May I know how did you create or configure it? Would you please try the following steps to see if they can help? 1. Click Start, Administrative Tools, select Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. 2. Right-click the Inbound Rules in the left pane, and then click New Rule 3. Select Custom on the first page "Rule Type". Select All programs on the next page "Program". Accept the default setting on the third page "Protocol and Ports". 4. On the page "Scope", choose the IP address of the allowed client computers. 5. On the page "Action", choose the "Allow the connection". Note that the second selection "Allow the connection if it is secure" is used for IPsec. If you haven't enabled IPsec on your network, you cannot choose this. Otherwise it will block all the connection to this server, as all the connection do not use IPsec and will be seen as unsecure connection. 6. Accept the default setting on the page "Profile" and then name this rule on the last page. By doing this, only computers from the specified IP addresses can communicate with this server. I hope this can be of help. Best regards,Chang Yin
August 13th, 2008 1:32pm

Hi Chang,Thanks for getting back to me!That's how I currently have my firewall set-up to only allow local ip's in... however I am wanting to isolate our KMS server for Domain Computers, hence the reason why we want to use the Authorized Computers option with only domain computers. I have IPsec enabled on the KMS server and the test server which is try to authenticate... When the Authorized Computers option is enable the test server can't authenticate with the KMS... even when all domain computers are in the Authorized Computers category.... However if I disable Authorized Computers and re-enable the IP filtering that works fine...?Any help on this would be great...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 14th, 2008 4:16pm

Hello, Well, if you want to use IPSec for KMS, I would highly suggest that you read the following article in detail. This document contains the detailed information and the step-by-step guide about how to configure the IPSec and the firewall to allow client communicating with KMS. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C13C9D27-A3C9-4626-938B-FED6404D8C5E&displaylang=en This is not as simple as configuring the firewall without IPSec. Many other settings must be configured so that it can work. Best regards,Chang Yin
August 18th, 2008 3:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics