(fle) explorer and other apps turned off?
I've volunteered to help out with the IT system at our local church. There's an important server running Server 2003. So far I've only had access to the admin account. When I login there's a desktop but no icons. The file explorer - and as best I remember (I was there once 2 weeks ago) other key apps - won't run. I was able to do ctrl-ad-delete; taskmgr; then Run Process and run a cmd window. And then use the cmd window to navigate directories. Using this method I could cd to various locations under c:\program files and run the apps there (including apps with GUI interfaces) invoking them from the command line. The systems were configured this way, I'm told, by a former consultant who's no longer available. I'm guessing that restricting the system or account in this fashion is a technique some people use as part of making a machine more secure. Any ideas about how things have been restricted like this?
May 31st, 2010 10:35pm

Hi, Causes of blank desktop are many. The following are some common causes: · The value of the Shell registry entry is not Explorer.exe. · Conflict with some 3rd party services or startup items. · Some key component files do not match each other such as SHELL32.dll, SHDOCVW.DLL, and browseui.dll. Hope the information is helpful for your work. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 1st, 2010 6:37am

May be firewall has blocked som of your applications.
June 2nd, 2010 8:36am

Hi, How are you? Just want to confirm if the information is helpful. If there is anything unclear or if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to respond back. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 3rd, 2010 4:17am

Hi Joson and thanx for your earlier answer. Actually, I'm only going back and seeing the machine again today. I'm particularly hopeful about setting the registry entry for Shell to something other than explorer.exe I think I've seen that before and am guessing that this is what I might be seeing again.
June 3rd, 2010 7:35pm

Hi, Thanks for your update. Please let me know the result after you check the registry entry or if there is anything unclear. I look forward to your response.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 4th, 2010 5:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics