Outlook 2013 Spell Check Not Working

Ever since I upgraded from Office 2010 to 2013, spell check in Outlook has not worked. I can enter a completely garbage word such as Fsafsgdbsngbs and Outlook will never tag it as misspelled. Even if I hit F7, I am told that there are no misspelled words.

I have ensured that the auto-check is setup correctly, I have deleted the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Microsoft\Shared Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Office\OutlookSpellingOptions and created and then deleted the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

I have removed all custom dictionaries - nothing is working.

If I open Word 2013 and enter the same word then the spell checker works immediately and flags the word as misspelled.

Can somebody please help me out?

Thank you!

July 2nd, 2013 11:30pm

As it turns out my Profile was corrupt.  Here are the steps MS Support took:

  1. Repair Using Online Repair - this did not help
  2. Ran Outlook in Safe Mode (Run: outlook /safe) - Spell Check worked in Safe Mode
  3. Disabled all Com Add-ins - Had this worked then we would have added one at a time to find the culprit, it did not help
  4. Removed all Com Add-ins - did not help
  5. Went into the Registry and removed all Addin folders for Outlook - no luck
  6. Tested spell check in Word - worked just fine
  7. Created a new profile in Outlook and spell check worked
  8. I then setup my email accounts to point to the same PST as the old profile and then deleted the old profile
  9. That was it - now spell check works just fine!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 3rd, 2013 8:59pm

I had the same issue but it wasn't because my profile was corrupt.  I used Outlook 2013 but the rest of my office software was 2010.  Outlook pulls its spell-checker from the respective version of Word. 

Simply upgraded to Word 2013 and it fixed my issue. 

Just in case anyone else was still struggling? 

December 19th, 2013 11:34am

I am still struggling with this issue.  Tried all the above steps.  At one point running the repair seemed to fix the problem for a couple days but then the issue would slowly creep back.  What I am running into is when the user hits the send, the Spell Check will hang, sometimes taking 10 seconds to check the first word, and then it will proceed to jump to each misspelled word.  And then a 15 second delay before the actual send, but it sits in the Outbook for another 10-15 seconds before sending out.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 23rd, 2014 5:53pm

That's garbage.

You need to install Word 2013 for spell check to work right if you haven't already done so.
June 17th, 2015 3:57am

First you need to read the thread prior to responding. This thread is specific to running Office 2013 on windows 7. Your inane suggestion clearly shows you did not bother to read things. Second, calling things garbage for no reason is just not constructive. While I am sure you are smarter than everybody you know, the rest of us do not need to hear it. For now, I think most people are going to wait for Win10 and then try Office at that point.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 17th, 2015 7:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics