Sharepoint Calendar Synch Failure
I have a moss 2k7 server hosted on a virtual server using Microsoft Virtual Serverand published to the interent via ISA2k6 using ssl. When I connect to a calendar using Outlook 2k7, the calendar shows up, but no items are populated andI get a send and receive error. I also can't create any items via outlook and get the error message "you cannot make changes to contents of this read only folder" when I try.The specific error is: Task 'SharePoint' reported error (0x8000FFFF): 'An error occurred either in Outlook or in SharePoint. Contact the SharePoint site administrator. HTTP 0.' I've attempted the net stop sens trick to no avail. Any thoughts would be helpful.
February 5th, 2008 5:57pm
Nope. I deleted and rebuilt the connections as you recommended as got the same result.
March 6th, 2008 12:17am
Hello I am also facing same problem. However If I run internally, it works greatly, but whne an end user access from an externally it is not allowing to adding items not event shown items in MS Outlook calendar, however it is showing in sharepoint calendar. Is this privilige issue or something else? I tried with FBA users as well as ADS users, both are facing same issue. FYI, I am using Exchange Server 2007 for mailing with MOSS 2007. Ashish
March 12th, 2008 5:16pm
I had the same error what I had to do is go into Internet Explorer, Tool, Internet Options, Security Section and un check "Check for Server Certificate Revocation" require IE restart then in outlook do a send and recieve all, the SharePoint calendar and tasks should not sync
April 18th, 2008 6:07pm
Hello All, I'm having the opposite problem. All of the appointments set in SharePoint are saving and can be seen in the Outlook calendars that are linked, however, they are not showing up in SharePoint itself on the Calendar. This is happening around the 21 or 22nd of every month. All appointments up until that date will show and then from that date to the end of the month will show as blank. Then starting the next month it will work fine until one of those dates - but all will still show in Outlook. Any Suggestions? Thanks, K
April 22nd, 2008 7:56pm
I had the exact some issue and worked around it by disabling the server certificate revocation check in IE and restarting Outlook. It makes sense to me, since we are using a server certificate issued by an CA that is only available on the internal LAN, to identify the server publicly. Therefore, clients on the LAN can reach the CA and obtain revocation info, while external clients cannot.By the way the option is under the Advanced Tab in Internet Options, under the Security Section. Hence it applies to ALL sites which is of course less than ideal from a security standpoint.Better solutions would be:- Use a server certificate issued by a public commercial CA such as Thawte or VeriSign.- Expose the internal CA to revocation check requests from the internet.Best regards,Daniel Stolt
May 26th, 2008 6:51pm
Same problem,not with Calender sync but simply synchronising the personal documents on the MOSS MySite.
May 26th, 2008 7:36pm
Hello All, The solution worked for me for the Task 'SharePoint' reported error (0x8000FFFF): There is a .Net passport that stores usernames and passwords. It's located in the "Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage your network passwords" for Vista and "Control Panel\User Accounts\Your username\ Change My .Net Password" If you change your password in Workspace and you have chosen to sign in automaticaly this error occurs, because the stored password is different. Hope this helps. Regards, Alexander Alexandrov
September 2nd, 2008 9:16am
Hi, Just wanted to thank you. I have tried to sort this for the last 5 hours. Your advice worked. Thanks Paul
April 8th, 2010 5:22pm
Thank you for this information! Everything is working now.
January 11th, 2011 10:55pm