Select People and Groups Dialog Box Not Working
WSS 3.0 In our 2-WFE farm this recent behavior has occurred: I will open this box to do a search for an employee name. I notice that the image to the left of the instructions does not render (typical small box with the "x" in it). When I enter a name, and then click the magnifying glass (or hit enter) the animated GIF does not appear (another box with the "x" in it) and nothing ever happens. No results come back. The strange thing is this behavior is not happeneing in any of our standalone WSS servers. Plus, the behavior is intermittent. Some sites do not exhibit this problem. Anyone have any experience with this phenomenon? When the dialog box first renders, and before I enter a name to search, is WSS trying to connect to Active Directory? I ask this because I am not sure if this a problem connection to AD, or an internal problem with WSS. Thanks for your replies!
April 1st, 2010 5:20pm

Do figure out what's going on you are going to "get" to spend some time in the SharePoint logs. I'm also assuming that there is only one server in your farm that is doing this since you are seeing the "intermittent" behavior. You can also "right click" on the broken image and find out SharePoint thinks it should be able to find that picture. Then navigate the file system to see if the image exists there - but again - you will have to be sure which server is presenting this issue. I hope this helps and answers your question-Jeff DeVerter, MCSERackspaceblog:http://www.social-point.comtwitter: http://www.twitter.com/jdeverter
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 1st, 2010 8:24pm

Jeff, we tried right-clicking the broken image,vbut it will not allow the right-click box to appear. Thanks!
April 1st, 2010 9:24pm

Hi First, a similar problem but not intermittent, if the application pool account for the web application is a local machine account or does not have AD permissions then the lookup will fail. - One of our devs set a Web Application up with the local administrator account as the app pool account which meant lots of things looked fine but you could not add users to the sites. :( needless to say we corrected this bad behaviour! Also try hitting a server specifically rather than presumably through the load balancer, you may find that one server is fine and the other is not, hence the intermittent issue. There are a number of ways to do this, one is to edit your client machine's local hosts file to point to the IP address of the specific WFE rather than the load balancer's IP. Hope that helps, Iain- Iain Wyatt, Novotronix Ltd, www.novotronix.com Microsoft Gold Partner, UK
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 2nd, 2010 12:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics