SSRS 2005 Email Address Disappears when Editing Subscription
I have users that are editing their own SSRS E-Mail Subscriptions. When they choose "Email" from the Delivered By combo box and type in a e-mail address it disappears after they set a schedule using the "Select Schedule" button and. Any ideas?
October 15th, 2010 9:34pm
Hi, Based on my experience on reporting services, the issue should have something to do with the IE than reporting services. So, i have the following tips for you to troubleshoot: 1. Please try to create the subscription in other computers to see if the issue also occurs. 2. If other computers have no such issue, try to clean up the IE cache and then reset the IE settings in the Internet Options window. 3. If the issue persists and if possible, reinstall the IE to see if it can solve this issue. please provide more details if you have more question. thanks, Jerry
October 18th, 2010 8:05am
Thanks Jerry for the response. Below is my response 1. Please try to create the subscription in other computers to see if the issue also occurs. - I did try this before my posting thinking there was something wrong with the PC or IE. 2. If other computers have not such issue, try to clean up the IE cache and then reset the IE settings in Internet Options window. - it was happening on other pc's but I did try to reset the IE permissions on those machines and that did not seem to work. 3. If the issue persists and if possiable, reinstall the IE to see if that can solve this issue - I did do this on 2 of the thress PC's I was testing and it did not work.
October 18th, 2010 4:57pm
Did you ever determine what was causing this? We are having this problem as well. It is certainly not user-friendly. I noticed that with my permissions as an Administrator I also have the CC & BCC options. If I enter a value into those fields it does not get blanked out. However, the TO line will get blanked out. I know initially the TO line was completely grayed out and defaulted to a "user ID". We did something to get that opened up, and now I think it must be blanking out. But I'm not sure what we did. I'm going to have to do further investigation. Would be great to hear if you found a resolution!
March 3rd, 2011 12:32am
Did anybody found solution to this problem. --Aj Singh
May 18th, 2011 12:15pm
I reached out to Microsoft on this and this is what I was told: This is expected behavior. The behavior has changed in Reporting Services 2008 R2 Sounds like if you upgrade to 2008 R2 you will no longer have this problem.
May 31st, 2011 12:13pm