SCCM Client via GPO not working
Hey all, We are currently in the process of moving to SCCM from Zenworks. We have deployed most of our SCCM Clients via the Zenworks Application Window (NAL), but would like to use GPO to 'clean up' the ones that don't pick it up for various reasons. We have set up a GPO to use ccmsetup.msi with the following switches: SMSSITECODE=<sitecode> SMSSLP=<servername> FSP=<servername> SMSMP=<servername> because our AD schema is not yet extended (I'm hoping to do so, but at this time it's out of my power to do it) It's my understanding that switches are not needed if AD is extended, but since it isn't extended, are these switches correct? Updating group policy on the pcs in our test OU where the GPO is applied doesn't result in the client being installed. The folders never show up, and there is nothing in the event logs that I can see. Is there anything I'm missing on why the GPO never even kicks off the install? I believe I'm using the right file (ccmsetup.msi for GPO, rather than ccmsetup.exe), but can't figure out why it doesn't even start to install. I did read this on another thread - "im sure the problem is that you have the firewall on and you didnt allow File and printer sharing exception towards the management point. Although you think you are performing a client pull install via GPO, you are actually still doing a client push" thread here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/configmgrsetup/thread/71ac0193-03e4-4fd6-aba0-198100e5c112 Is this true? Our file and print sharing is currently turned off due to a security issue we were dealing with last year, so if that is the case than we will need to look at that. Otherwise I must be overlooking something somewhere. Anyone have similar issues?
April 6th, 2012 2:47pm

You have to write the commandlines like this SMSSITECODE=PS1 /MP:CM01 Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 6th, 2012 4:17pm

Thanks Kent, I thought switches like /MP:<managementpointname> were for the ccmsetup.exe file though, not the .msi ? Is that correct? And would my incorrect parameter cause it not to run at all? Or just to run and not install properly?
April 6th, 2012 4:23pm

the ccmsetup.msi file you are using is the ccmsetup.exe fileKent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 6th, 2012 4:27pm

Alright, I will have to try this. So do the rest of the parameters look ok? I think my FSP may need to change to SMSFSP, unless those are incorrect as well. So my end result should look like: SMSSITECODE=ABC /MP:SERVERNAME SMSFSP=SERVERNAME SMSSLP=SERVERNAME etc. Thanks for the advice so far
April 6th, 2012 4:32pm

All available options are listed here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680980.aspxTorsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2012 7:11am

Hi pesh131, Have you copied ConfigMgr2007Assignment.adm ConfigMgr2007Installation.adm from ConfigMgr_install_CD\TOOLS\ConfigMgrADMTemplates to AD? Then import these two templates to your GPO, since AD schema was not extended, you should only Enable "Configure Configuration Manager Client Deployment Setting" Then create the software installation package. Once you applied the policy to the OU, it should be replicated to your systems. In GPMC you can use the Group Policy Results Checker to verify that the policy is applied. After computers in the OU restarting, on boot-up before your logon screen appears, you will see the window show client is installing. For troubleshooting, open the application event log or check ccmsetup.log. Hope this will help. Thanks
April 9th, 2012 5:00am

Hello, Yes we had done those setup steps; our issue was that it wasn't even kicking off even though it was set up. I did however get it figured out this morning- Domain Computers did not have access to the folder containing the install. I didn't know that it ran as the computer account rather than the logged in user account, so once I added that (and a minor change to my install parameters) it kicked off right after a reboot! Our final GPO looks like this: /MP:<servername> /logon SMSSITECODE=<sitecode> SMSSLP=<servername> FSP=<servername> with access to the file share folder granted to Domain Computers. Thanks everyone for your help! These forums are great
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 9th, 2012 11:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics