Rebuilt SUP server will not sync properly after site server upgraded to SCCM 2012 R2 SP1

All our SCCM 2012 servers have Windows 2012 R2. SCCM was working just fine until we upgraded from SCCM 2012 R2 to SCCM 2012 R2 SP1. The site server (SC01) worked just fine after the upgrade, but all the other SCCM servers broke (is this common?). Here, I'm talking about the SUP/WSUS server (SC02). SC02 broke so bad that we rebuilt it from scratch starting with a Server 2012 image with nothing on it. I've spent days trying to get the new SC02 to properly download and sync patches.

Here are the symptoms:

1) WSUSCONTENT folder on SC02 only has folders, no actual patch files (this folder has the same permissions as a SUP server on another network we have)

2) The patches in Software Inventory all showed as expired but they really aren't (hold over meta-data from before, I guess). They all show as downloaded too. If you try to download them you get "All software updates in this selection are expired or meta-data only, and cannot be downloaded."

3) There are so many of these errors in wsyncmgr.log ("The Microsoft Software License Terms have not been completely downloaded~~cannot be accepted") that it eventually says "Too many consecutive failures. Aborting sync."

4) In Windows Application log there are many Error Code 364 errors: Content file download failed. Reason: Value does not fall within the expected range"

Some web sites suggest this, but I've tried 3-4 times and it doesn't work:

1) remove all Classifications from SUP configuration

2) run "wsusutil reset"

3) run "Synchronize Software Updates" in Software library

4) re add classifications

Is removing the SUP and WSUS roles and then deleting the SUSDB and reinstalling it viable to try?

July 31st, 2015 12:47pm

In my experience, WSUSCONTENT will never have update binaries, it will only ever have the EULA.TXT files. (License Terms)

But from the errors you've mentioned, it looks like it can't write those files into your WSUSCONTENT - which sounds like a permissions problem.
Does the relevant (site server computer) account have permissions to the WSUSCONTENT folders?

I wouldn't expect it to be a SUSDB issue, but you could open the WSUS console on the SUP and check it out.
You can do a sync in the WSUS console, as a test.
You can try the WSUS SCW in the WSUS console, that's a pretty good test of WSUS health.
Check the \program files\update services\logs\ logfiles
Check the Windows event logs on the SUP - WSUS writes events in there too.

Did you run the WSUS post-install-configuration step on the SUP ?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 1st, 2015 5:03am

The way we set up the WSUSCONTENT it does have the binaries. The old SC02 had them and the equivalent on the other network has them. Plus we can't sync to MS Updates, we have to pull  them down and sync to our own server, here SC02.

I have made progress since I posted this. It looks like three separate problems going on here: a permission issue on the SQL (which is also on SC02)--now fixed, the updates showing as expired in Software Library (this looked like it was fixed when I left Friday but I'm not totally sure yet), and the WSUSCONTENT being empty.

I'm not sure what likely fixed the expired updates in the library--I guess either the server needed more time or it's that the last time when I readded the classifications I did so one at a time but I don't see why that would matter. If someone knows why, I'd love to hear it.

Yes I did the sup post configuration. It's all the same as on the other (working) network. Cross my fingers for all this working when I go in Monday.

If it's not working Monday am, I'll have the network guys check for blocks.

I can't answer the rest of this til Monday. I'll report back.

August 1st, 2015 6:39am

Monday update:

I have this fixed now.

For the patches in Software Library that were showing as expired that really weren't, unchecking all classifications, resyncing, and checking and resyncing again fixed most of that. But I also had to do the uncheck routine with some of the products.

For the reason the patch files weren't downloading, looking at the log mentioned above showed WSUS was trying to write them to "F:Folder" (not no slash). So I ran a "wsusutil movecontent" to the proper path and the files started downloading.

Thank you for the help.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2015 10:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics