Is a thread about the problem and what to do.
a thread about the problem and what to do.
Registry hack? It sounds like an IE compatibility issue (might even be the case that he is using Edge intead of IE), so if IE is really required he might be able to use the Developer Tools, to change the browser emulation (pick a different User-Agent string that makes the app happy). I agree with the people in that thread who complained about this suggestion. Changing an IE setting globally for one app seems like bad practice. What if some other app actually expects to see a non-zero build number on the Version string?
There is actually a better hack which at least makes the user refer to the program which is causing it. Unfortunately I can't remember the details but I do know that I would need to know the name of the program which is forcing this override. E.g. it's something like: add money.exe as a subkey and then add as a default value whatever version of IE it is trying to open.
Even better though would be to find someone who knows how Money works and get them to provide the workaround.
Money looks for a specific set of version numbers for IE, hence the registry hack to change IE version numbers...
OK. I still say that that is the wrong place to force that change. I'll try to research this some more to improve my recollection of what exactly you could do to make your program (money.exe?) see a non-standard version of IE as being a default.
It would be good if there was a way to define IE's version by calling app, but I sure don't know about it.
I found the thing I was trying to remember
So, you're probably right, if used that would probably only have an effect after Money had done its "version check" and then started generating markup for IE to render.
I still think the best workaround though would be to see if there would be any way to avoid that horrible hack. E.g. you could use ProcMon to see what registry accesses are tested before that one. Hopefully a cleaner alternative would be found that way. And I still say the best solution would be for Money to fix its deficient check. FWIW I found a page at QuickBooks where the same symptom is discussed and the "alternate solution" there for early versions involving .INI files IMO demonstrates better practice.