Need help understanding Content Prestaging

I ran the ExtractContent.exe tool on my .pkgx file and it produced the following output:

Prestaging content to content library D:\SCCMContentLib
        uncompress      25 %
        uncompress      50 %
        uncompress      75 %

My questions are:

1. How come the uncompress does not show 100%?

2. Is each uncompress there for each package that was contained in the .pkgx file? Because as I recall, I only prestaged 3 packages, so showing the 3 uncompress statuses above makes sense?

3. How come when I check the Distribution Point Configuration Status it shows only one package (PR100003) as awaiting content prestaging, but no others after I ran theExtractContent.exe tool?

Thanks

July 27th, 2015 4:42pm

Hi,

1. A UI thing... nothing to worry about.

2. it is done for all content added to the file.

3. you need to target the DP with the packages you prestaged, then they will show up if you haven't done that already.

Regards,
Jrgen

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2015 5:17pm

Thanks Jorgen, 

I followed this article from Kent Agerlund exactly:

http://blog.coretech.dk/kea/configuration-manager-2012-prestage-content-on-distribution-points/

I enabled the DP for content prestaging, then I highlighted all my software deployment packages and then clicked on the Create Prestaged Content File in the ribbon. In the Create Prestaged Content File Wizard in the Content Locations section, I select my Datacenter DP as the source used to create the prestaged content file. I then extracted the .pkgx file on the remote DP using the ExtractContent.exe tool. 

Am I missing something here?

I don't get why the other packages are not showing up as awaiting content prestaging. 

Also, I found the following errors in the PrestageContent.log:

Creating signature file for content 45af4a47-8560-4b28-bcfb-888a0ea28c52 PrestageContent 7/24/2015 2:19:51 PM 2524 (0x09DC)
Content 45af4a47-8560-4b28-bcfb-888a0ea28c52 not found in content library PrestageContent 7/24/2015 2:19:51 PM 2524 (0x09DC)
ArchiveFile::ExtractFile failed; 0x80004005 PrestageContent 7/24/2015 2:19:51 PM 2524 (0x09DC)
ArchiveFile::ExtractContent failed; 0x80004005 PrestageContent 7/24/2015 2:19:51 PM 2524 (0x09DC)

Thanks



July 28th, 2015 8:23am

It turns out that some of these packages are corrupted. The Site Server is hosted on a VM that is on a cluster and it has went down a few times in the past and it seems doing so has corrupted some packages in the Content Library. 

After re-creating new packages and re-distributing them, it seems to work fine now. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2015 1:16pm

It turns out that some of these packages are corrupted. The Site Server is hosted on a VM that is on a cluster and it has went down a few times in the past and it seems doing so has corrupted some packages in the Content Library. 

After re-creating new packages and re-distributing them, it seems to work fine now. 

July 30th, 2015 5:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics