We've been dealing with this issue on and off since shortly after we upgraded to 2012 last year. We really started noticing it after trying to deploy third and fourth versions of some standard applications; iTunes, Java, Shockwave, etc.
In our case were pretty sure the culprit is my messing around with supersedence on actively deployed Applications. Since we upgraded to 2012 I've been constantly experimenting and tweaking our apps to get things juuuuuust right and I think I finally have
a safe process that avoids supersedence tweaks.
I started working on a few apps this week and discovered the issue popping up again after I converted Reader over to my new process, which of course included tweaking supersedence on an older version that still had a deployment on it.
Since this has only been happening for us when we upgrade Applications, our best solution has just been to delete the old Applications deployment. It takes a few hours for machines to get their marbles straight but the errors eventually reduce to almost
nothing and stay there until the next time I tweak something it doesnt like.
The posts above regarding CIagent.log and SQL for CI_ConfigurationItems are spot on for what weve been doing for determining the offending Application, but at this point weve gotten so used to the issue that the query is more a formality because were
usually pretty sure what we did wrong. I dont think weve intentionally tried to reproduce the issue yet but I think we could if we really wanted to.
Seeing that some are having this issue with Task Sequences and not Applications, heres what I think this issue boils down to: the CM client gets confused when referenced/dependent/superseded Applications change on a deployment/configuration item. It could
be a bug in the client where it cant figure out that things have changed, or it could be a bug in how the database gets updated when we make these changes. Either way, itd be nice if this didnt happen.
Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:33 PM