Well i don't think i have just stated i had the answer. That was a follow up for earlier posts about our issue. Exactly the same as the topic starter has. Having a document with meta data on SharePoint 2010, receiving a new from an external source and then
losing the meta data when doing an upload. So why would i start a new thread if the issue is exactly the same?
But in case you want to know, here are all posts in the correct order and describing the problem and test results, where my end conclusion is. Microsoft has finally declared this is a bug and is working on it with currently no time frame available for
when it will be ready.
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:01 AM
Did anyone ever found a workaround or solution for this?
My business is receiving around 250 docx documents at the end of each month and they need to upload them to SharePoint. All documents are updates to excisting documents that are already on SharePoint. After they are uploaded all meta data needs to be refilled.
This was not the case in SharePoint 2007, so after migration to 2010 this has started.
Friday, May 24, 2013 11:20 AM
We have had a call about this at Microsoft. They say this is by design and there is no plan to create a fix since at this moment only 8 customers had created a call about this. So it is very low on there list.
Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:54 AM
We are having contact with several Microsoft teams about this issue. Currently the conclusion from Microsoft is as follow:
It is working in SP2007, but that was due to a bug and was not intended to work.
It is not working in SP2010 and that is by design.
It is not working in SP2013, but this is a bug. A bug report has been filled for this and it will be passed to the involved development team.
However we did some more tests on our SharePoint 2010 environment (DEV, QA, PRD) and we see very inconsistent behavior in keeping and losing the metadata. We managed to change the behavior of metadata in one site collection in our development environment
from being removed to NOT being removed, by enabling the Document ID feature. This feature or a combination of this and other features, changes the expected behavior that you described.
Our tests imply that the behavior on the same platform, with the same patch level and the same features enabled isnt stable.
See our overview:
Currently we are waiting on a response from Microsoft, as we think this behavior shows that even if it was by design there is a bug in 2010.
We also noticed that this behavior was already reported to Microsoft in December 2011 and escalated all to the application team. See this blog post:
I had a phone conversation with Microsoft today about our issue and our tests on SharePoint 2007, 2010 and 2013. Microsoft confirmed that the lose of meta data in SharePoint 2010 and 2013 due to property promotion is not by design, but that it is indeed
a bug. Currently it has been escalated to the application team for SharePoint 2010 and the application team for SharePoint 2013. They should strat working on a fix, however they where not able yet to give a time frame for this bug.