Installing Integration Services 3.4 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.7 (x86) - Kernel Panic
After installing 32 bit Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.7 everything looks fine until I install Integration Services 3.4. I get the kernel panic error in the following screenshot. I'm certainly no expert at Linux so all I can really tell is that it looks like
it can't find the boot volume. If anyone could whack me upside the head and tell me what I'm doing wrong, that would be great! I have gone through the pdf instructions that Microsoft provides and still end up running into this error. Thanks!
Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:17 PM
October 17th, 2013 10:53pm
Forgot to mention that I'm on Hyper-V Server 2012! Let me know if any other info would be helpful.
Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:54 PM
October 17th, 2013 10:54pm
October 18th, 2013 2:40pm
Unfortunately, it cannot be a version higher than 5.7 because the software that I need to install is only compatible with 5.7 and lower. Hyper-V 2012 is supposed to support 5.7 and the install for 5.7 is included with Linux Tools 3.4. Is there any other
October 18th, 2013 4:58pm
This is a known limitation in that the LIS 3.4 package does not support the PAE (physical address extension) version of 32-bit Linux kernels. The PAE version allows a 32-bit OS to run with more than 4 Gbytes of main memory. I can see from
your screenshot above that you have a PAE kernel. You have several choices:
- Use the 64-bit version of RHEL 5.7
- Use the non-PAE version of 32-bit RHEL 5.7, assuming that you plan to run with smaller than 4 Gbyte of main memory
- Move to RHEL 5.9 as suggested above. RHEL 5.9 has the LIS built-in, including support for PAE kernels.
- Wait until we release LIS 3.5, which will include support for PAE kernels. We're trying to get LIS 3.5 out by the end of the year (or sooner), but I can't make any promises. :-)
- The LIS 3.4 ISO contains the source code for the Microsoft drivers. If you have someone with Linux kernel skills, you can recompile the drivers from source code against the PAE kernel, in which case we believe they will work.
Sorry you've encountered this problem. Hopefully one of the above choices will prove to be acceptable.
October 19th, 2013 12:38am
Thank you so much! This is exactly the information that I was looking for!
October 21st, 2013 1:43pm
Hi, Im running Redhat 6.7 and after installing LIS 4.0 im getting a kernel panic. if I boot into an older kernel the system is ok. any advice? thank you
July 27th, 2015 3:09am
Hi, Im running Redhat 6.7 and after installing LIS 4.0 im getting a kernel panic. if I boot into an older
kernel the system is ok. any advice? thank you
July 28th, 2015 3:20am