IIS Admin Service Service terminated with service-specific error 2148073478 (0X80090006)
I am facing a problem with enabling IIS Admin Service , and still receiving error 2148073478 (0X80090006) I Installed SharePoint farm successfully (high-availability medium farm) and finished the configuration Companyteam applied windows update I came back and I found the sites that I created are not found. After tracking the problem I found that IIS node can't be expanded and i received and error services strating failed Then we checked the username and the password that we used for the installation and we found that they were not changed, then we checked the role of that user and it is still has administrator privileges in local administrator and in the domain After that we checked the SQL services and it is working fine and the account can access the db I Tracked the events that applied on the server ,i found two new installations : SQL Microsoft Configuration tool and Microsoft SQL server 2005 analysis services ADOMD.NET I checked IIS machinekeys and ensured that Common AppData is pointing to \Documents and Settings\...\MachineKeysbut without any results So please help me to clarify the problem and what are the actions that we have apply to solve the issue and prevent that to be happened in the future.
March 6th, 2008 3:32pm

I had the same issue, I used the method in the following link to solve: http://blogs.msdn.com/saurabh_singh/archive/2007/08/02/iisadmin-startup-issues.aspx WhereI updated the names of the files in the machinekeys directory to match the new machineguid. I don't know why the MachineGUID changed, but I do know changing the file name worked and solved the issue. We saw this on three separate machines.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 22nd, 2008 7:52pm

Thanks a lot mccpres.the link you gave has helped me to resolve a big IIS issue.really thanks for your help.
September 14th, 2009 7:36pm

It's a while since Mohammad had this problem, but I just had a very similar issue after a server had a power off last night. I've just fixed the problem with no data loss or re-installs, and the fix was actually quite easy, so thought I might be able to assist others. I read in an article about the file %SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\MetaBase.xml potentially being corrupt. Examining that file indicated it was complete and valid XML. However, I have good backups so restored the MetaBase.xml from around 4 hours prior to when the server got powered off. I then did a comparison and found that whilst both files had identical lines, the long numbers on some lines were different. I saved the current MetaBase, copied the backup copy into that folder and tried starting World Wide Web Publishing Service, which also starts IIS Admin Service. Worked perfectly, so restarted the server and now everything is running again. I don't know for sure it was the power off that caused the problem and I also don't know if it is normal for MetaBase to have changed like that. I might restore an older backup to see how different that one is.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 28th, 2010 5:03am

you have no idea how much u helped me pal ! the MetaBase.xml fix worked like a charm :) thanks
December 20th, 2010 6:42am

You guys rock. Glad I found this thread. Saved me a lot of trouble. Our server got hung up, and we had no choice but to do a hard reboot. When it came back up, IIS Admin service wouldn't start, and Exchange wouldn't work either (as it depended on IIS). Thanks to this thread, I replace the C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\MetaBase.xml file with one that was only a few hours old in the "history" subfolder under inetsrv. After that and another reboot, the server was working like a charm. Thanks, DF
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2011 3:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics