How to make an RDL run in RS that runs in BIDS
Please check version of RDL in BIDS and of reportserver are same. There may be problem when we develop report in SQL 2008 R2 and deployed to SQL 2008 ReportServer. If the version is different you can try changing ReportProjectProperties->TargetReportVersion to SQL 2008 Bipin. P | ERNST & YOUNG GSS
April 6th, 2012 9:41am

As per your reply it seems no issue with report version. For BIDS and RS are you pointing to different database ? Then please try (if possible) connect to same database as RS using. This may be because of new set of data in RS. I have faced performance issue with sub report previously like it took couple of hours with production data. You can also try with limited records in production (by using TOP 1 in query of something like that). Another option is connect RS report to same DB as BIDS using. Bipin. P | ERNST & YOUNG GSS
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2012 1:03pm

Thank you. Both BIDS and RS are pointing to the same database. Remember the subreports all work in both RS and BIDS. It is just this one RDL file that does not work in RS. (This RDL file is pointing to the same database as the subreports. It is in the same solution folder in BIDS and the same folder in RS as the subreports). What I did was I first ran all of my subreports in RS before running this RDL in RS to cache the subreport data. Then I modified my sproc so it would just select the top few records. But for my report parameters, I am only getting a total of 2 rows for the main dataset on the main RDL file. So limiting the data output to TOP 1 is not going to help much. (I also limited the data in some of the temp tables in this main sproc). And although I still get the same records in BIDS after these modifications, this report is never rendering in RS. Any other ideas on what to do/try?Ryan D
April 7th, 2012 6:11pm

I developed an RDL file containing a tablix with subreports. This RDL successfully runs in BIDS, along with all of the subreports. But this same RDL file with the same report parameters never finishes running in RS (Reporting Services). Yet all of its subreports do finish in both BIDS and RS. What could the possible causes be for this RDL not completing and how can I troubleshoot/fix this RDL? Note that I have already modified some of the timeout values in Tools->Options but this has not fixed this RDL file for the RS environment.Ryan D
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2012 6:23pm

Hello ironryan77, Thanks for your posting. From your description, the main report and subreports are not work normal after you deploy them to the Report Server. In your case, have you deployed all of reports to the Report Server successfully? Please ensure that all of the subrepors has been deployed to the Report Server. Then, you can check that all of subreprots are render properly on the Report Server. If this issue still persists, please post the detail error message when you view the main report on the Report Server for further investigation. If possible, please post a screenshot about this issue. Regards, Bin Long TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.Bin Long TechNet Community Support
April 8th, 2012 1:33am

Please check version of RDL in BIDS and of reportserver are same. There may be problem when we develop report in SQL 2008 R2 and deployed to SQL 2008 ReportServer. If the version is different you can try changing ReportProjectProperties->TargetReportVersion to SQL 2008 Bipin. P | ERNST & YOUNG GSS
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 8th, 2012 2:45am

Thank you guys! Yes, these subreports all run successfully both in BIDS and RS. The only report that does not work in RS is this main report. And I do not get any errors on this main report either. THe problem is that it never finishes rendering; I just see the circle keep turning like it's still processing. But this RDL is not part of a VS project. Instead I placed all RDL files with a folder in my solution. So this folder has both this main report file and subreport RDL files all located in the same VS solution folder. I have the data source in a different VS solution folder. That is it. Here are screenshots of my VS version and the solution version: Ryan D
April 8th, 2012 6:53am

I don't know how to view the version in RS since this is an enterprise server and I don't seem to have access to the Configuration Manager for this server. But here are the SSMS settings: Ryan D
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 8th, 2012 7:04am

Nevermind, I fixed this problem. The problem was the difference between the RS version and my BIDS version. I upgraded my BIDS version to 2008 R2 to match my RS version and everything works now!Ryan D
April 13th, 2012 9:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics