How can one fix the error --  Value cannot be null. Parameter name: strFolderName -- happening in the NewDocSet.aspx page?
How can one fix the error --  Value cannot be null. Parameter name: strFolderName -- happening in the NewDocSet.
November 24th, 2014 9:52pm

Hi mkamoski2,

I suggest you check the ULS Log firstly to see the detailed error message, it will help us to find a solution to resolve your issue.

For SharePoint, the ULS log is located at the path:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS

Best Regards

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 25th, 2014 9:48am

Yes, I tracked it down.

Those ULS logs are too deep, but that's another story.

Sadly, the error message displayed has nothing (zero) to do with the issue.

It was use of a JS variable with having declared it.

Nothing to do with strFolderName, etc.

Wish the JS tooling would mature some day, it has been a decade plus, it is not just here but everywhere that JS error messaging and tracing and intellisense and such like is just dirt compared to C-Sharp.

But, I hacked my way through it and, FWIW, you were right-- ULS log is the place to go-- but that sucker is deep, too deep, I have to figure out how to scale back the things being logged-- problem is that I do not want to miss anything important. Oh well. I will hack my way through that too, I suppose, eventually.

Still, I am liking SP 2013, it is pretty cool.

Thanks.

Mark Kamoski

November 25th, 2014 10:28am

Hi mkamoski2,

I suggest you can create a new site collection and then recreate a new docuement set to test whether it works.

Best Regards

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 26th, 2014 4:28am

Dear Zhengyu,

Actually, creating a new site collection was not necessary for me.

I simply fixed the JavaScript and it started working again. 

Still, I wish those errors that SharePoint shows would be a big more on-target and descriptive, because "strFolderName" had nothing to do with the actual error. 

Thanks.

Mark Kamoski

November 26th, 2014 4:25pm

Hi mkamoski2,

Thanks for your sharing and feedback !

Best Regards

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 27th, 2014 9:56am

What exactly did you do with the JavaScript?

Which file? what change?

Thanks,

April 2nd, 2015 4:00pm

Dear Abhishek (and all) -- 

First, please be sure you understand my answer above.

The problem that I had was with MY code, not anywhere else.

That is, it is because MY code was broken that caused the error.

>>> What exactly did you do with the JavaScript?

I fixed my custom JavaScript code to be ensure that all my JavaScript variables were initialized to a stable value before using them. 

>>> Which file? 

I had to change MY custom JavaScript code, which was in a file called "MyCustomScripts  DOT js" which I included on the page in question.

>>> what change?

I changed MY code so all JavaScript variables were properly initialized (relative to MY code's processing logic) so that un-initialized variable were not a problem.

Overall, I think in my case it was that MY code caused the whole page to break and stop processing, therefore the strFolderName (and it's surrounding logic, all of which is part of SharePoint itself) never was properly run and broke as a result of MY code having stopped processing on the page.

So, it seems to me, that is the full story behind what happened in my code.

I hope my story helps others, etc.

Thanks.

-- Mark Kamoski
 
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 3rd, 2015 11:41am

Thanks Mark,

I am troubleshooting a customer issue, The information will definitely help. Once I resolve it, I will post my findings and solution.

April 3rd, 2015 7:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics