Forwarding/Simulring settings reset when logging in with Lync client

Problem:

Using a Lync phone edition device, or using SEFAUtil, we can set forwarding/simulring settings for a particular user. Once that user logs in on a Lync client (running on Win7), the forwarding/simulring settings are removed after a few seconds. On the Lync client UI, the settings are disabled. When using SEFAUtil or a Lync phone edition device to set the forwarding/simulring settings again, they are removed after a moment by what appears to be the Lync client.

Steps taken:

The Lync client and Front End servers have been updated to the latest version in an attempt to solve this problem.

After installing the Lync client on a clean machine, the issue does not occur. However, after a few days the problem resurfaces. So far, all Lync clients and user combinations have this issue.

There is nothing in the SIP tracing which suggests why this happens. It seems to be the Lync client itself which decides to remove the setting. This is supposed by the fact that our Lync Phone edition devices are perfectly capable of setting forwarding and simulring even though they have the exact same settings applied to them.

The Global voice policy as well as a new voice policy created and assigned to the specific user have the call forwarding and simulring options enabled. This is either routed via PSTN usages or to Internal clients only, both do not work.

No issues on the Front End servers in the Windows event log or issues with the replication state. Also no (glaring) issues in the .etl log file of the client.

My guess, the Lync client thinks the voice policy is faulty. Maybe some faulty configuration is left over from before we upgraded to Lync Enterprise edition. The Lync client uses this information to disable the UI which also triggers the reset of the forwarding/simulring routing information back to a blank state.

Any directions, comments, suggestions are welcome. Even if it's just to say that you can't think of additional troubleshooting steps. I'm thoroughly stuck on this problem that has plagued us for months.

May 27th, 2015 4:26am

Hi,

Base on my understanding, the issue may caused by the wrong information of database.

Did the issue still happen if the forwarding/simulring set from Lync desktop client?

Please try to disable the issued Lync users and then enable them again to check the issue.

Best Regards,
Eason Huang

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 27th, 2015 10:30pm

Thanks very much for your response! I understand your train of thought. In the OP, when I said "Lync client" I did indeed mean the Lync desktop client.

Based on your reply, I've taken the following steps:

  • Disabled the user, logged off the user, enabled it again, logged on the user. Using only the Lync control panel to enable/disable the user.
  • Disabled the user. Logged off the user. Deleted the user in the domain. Created a new user with the same email address. Enabled this user for Lync. Logged on as this user.
  • Created a new user in the domain with a different email address. Enabled this user for Lync. Logged on the user.

During each step, I have used the same computer and Lync client. After each step, I have checked whether the forwarding settings are available by checking the call forwarding settings page.

Additionally, I've checked the Lync server replication settings. I've rebooted all the Lync servers and Lync clients. I've also removed the testing computer from the domain and added it back to the domain.

None of the steps have made any change. The call forwarding settings are still not enabled.


May 28th, 2015 3:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics