Well, now I am really sure it was one of those updates. As I mentioned before, I couldn't un-install the updates, so I had to remove the whole SharePoint application from each server where it was installed. While re-installing I still added the
September 2014 CU, since it is there on all of my other farms. Of course I made sure not to install anything from windows updates. I rejoined the farm and my main web application and "My Site" web application were automatically re-configured.
I had to delete my user profile service though, and I had to re-configure all of that. I didn't have any other service applications configured before uninstalling so I don't know what else might have to be repaired if you go this route.
Once I got my user profiles configured and working again then I checked if I can select the "Property" radio button on the audience and it finally worked.
If you go this route then you will need these PowerShell (SP13 Management Shell) commands.
Get-SPServiceApplicationPool -Identity "SharePoint - User Profile" (or whatever your user profile was called)
Remove-SPServiceApplicationPool -Identity "SharePoint - User Profile"
Really the first Get and the Remove are what you really need, that's just how I step through it to make sure I'm typing stuff right. Since I only had the user profile service application configured then that was the only one I had to remove.
In my case I was fortunate that I was in the process of configuring this farm, so I didn't really have concerns about content (no content exists yet). However, I have to have audiences. That is how we ensure that people have only one personal
site instead of one at each farm. In any other environment it would probably be a bit risky to just go uninstalling stuff, so proceed with caution (and preferably on a test system first). I hope an easier solution comes around soon.
If you need me to look at some resx files then I will be glad to help if I can. It appears those updates were language pack updates so it might be that a field was removed from a language resx file. email me at eric.sammannATxfab.com. Maybe
we can find an easier solution for you.