Problem statement: When we create new Document set in Documents library which is having default values for a people and group column, getting following X X X X X X kind of characters in people and group type column value. (Find below screenshot).
Steps to reproduce:
- Go to Document library, in my case Documents
- Go to Library settings
- Go to Advanced settings and set Yes to Allow management of content types?
- Add Document set content type to library. As shown in below screen shot.
- Go to Create column in library and create new column of type Person or Group with some name. In my case I have given name as TestPeople
6. Now set default value to the newly added list column using PowerShell script
$w = Get-SPWeb "http://myspmachine/";
$l = $w.Lists["Documents"];
$fld = $l.Fields["TestPeople"];
$usr = $w.EnsureUser("myspmachine\prasad.pathak");
$spFieldUserValue = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFieldUserValue($w);
$spFieldUserValue.LookupId = $usr.ID;
$fld.DefaultValue = $spFieldUserValue.ToString();
8. Confirm or add this site column is part of Document and Document Set content type both. As shown below.
9. Now got to Documents library, File tab and select New Document and Document Set
10. Now you can see the error appearing like following.
11. Same way if you upload some document with Document content type and check for the same column you will not find any issue with document content type.
12. So this issue with Document set content type only.
- Edited by Prasad Pathak Thursday, May 28, 2015 5:49 AM removed the first image